Cost to connect to the grid?

/ Cost to connect to the grid? #11  
Local RECC quoted my neighbor $8 a foot to run to his remote cabin.
This did not include tree clearing in the 60’ required easement just labor n materials for overhead service.

/ Cost to connect to the grid? #12  
Depending on the number of trees in that 900ft. renting a trencher would be my move. I rented a trencher years ago and did my 250ft and a couple of my neighbors much shorter runs and did it all in not even a day. I did the same on another house that was more like 300' and did water and electric.

If it is heavy with trees you would need a backhoe and probably a lot more time. I was just using a walk behind trencher and went down 3' since it was water. You wouldn't need to go 3' but I would at least go 2' to get below and tillage depth.

The wire for that long of run would have to be pretty high amp wire and would be a pretty penny I would think.

/ Cost to connect to the grid? #13  
Running 900 feet with a trencher isn’t that hard but it’s still expensive. The conduit is about $8ft. The electric company provides the wire up to a certain distance but they won’t do 900 foot. I think the limit with my provider is 300’ before they start charging. You can’t run 900’ without transformers either. Idk if the electric company pays for those or charges.

/ Cost to connect to the grid? #14  
Yes, this won't be an inexpensive venture no matter the method or who does it.

/ Cost to connect to the grid? #15  
Any details in that quote? How much was the material and how much labour?
About Tesla batteries, those are not cheap either.
I honestly didn’t ask. I remember they gave me a worksheet they typically used. It broke it down by distance between poles. It didn’t include trenching/wire to the house from the meter. It was just a total no go for me. The Tesla powerwall batteries I looked at were about $10k each.

/ Cost to connect to the grid? #16  
Wow, my nearest poll was about 1200 feet, I brought it underground, had to be 4' deep or encased in concrete, we went 4 feet down. Power company set the transformer about 50 feet from the house, I ran the 220 underground and did the connect. Cost me just under $3500 4 years ago.

I know stuff has gone up, but, 70 or 80 k is too close to the cost of a house!! Even at 10 bucks a foot, I don't understand where all the cost is?

Rent me a good sized hoe or x with a breaker if you have rock, and I'll come do it for a fraction:)

Best,

ed

/ Cost to connect to the grid? #17  
Wow, my nearest poll was about 1200 feet, I brought it underground, had to be 4' deep or encased in concrete, we went 4 feet down. Power company set the transformer about 50 feet from the house, I ran the 220 underground and did the connect. Cost me just under $3500 4 years ago.

I know stuff has gone up, but, 70 or 80 k is too close to the cost of a house!! Even at 10 bucks a foot, I don't understand where all the cost is?

Rent me a good sized hoe or x with a breaker if you have rock, and I'll come do it for a fraction:)

Best,

ed

The cost of conduit is about 4x what it was 4 years ago. It’s $70 plus tax for a piece of 3”. We frequently have to use concrete for cover because the depth can’t be obtained due to rock. In my area it’s $10ft for labor. I think the local electric company will give you the transformer but they charge for wire beyond 300ft. Doing underground electric isn’t cheap but 80k is still insane.

/ Cost to connect to the grid? #19  
I believe my 600' is direct bury.