Could ROPS bolts be easier to use?

/ Could ROPS bolts be easier to use? #11  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">(
Here's what you do. Go to the local farm supply store, knowing the diameter of the bolt, and get a hardened pin that will fit. For mine that was a tad bigger than the diameter of the bolt. That means drilling the welded nut on your folding ROPS so this isn't a reversable modification --be aware. Also get some compression springs and SS washers that will fit the pin.

Drill out the welded nut on the ROPS, slide the pin in, put on a washer-spring-washer and safety pin it in place. It is much easier and the spring keeps it from rattling.

I'll post a better picture tomorrow if anyone is interested.

jb )</font>

John -- I did that on my last tractor but didn't like the non-reversible nature of the mod. With my new L4630 I simply took the ROPS pin over to the grinder and ground the tip till the threads were gone. Careful not to remove too much since I didn't want rattles. When I got it right I pushed the pin straight thru and inserted the clip. No rattles, and raising or lowering the ROPS is a cinch. Plus, if I ever sell the tractor, the captive nut is intact so all I need would be two new threaded pins.

Pete

/ Could ROPS bolts be easier to use? #12  
Using a straight pin instead of a threaded pin would be handier for us and cheaper for Kubota. I suspect they have a reason for the threaded design, like keeping the tubing from collapsing under extreme loads. Still, I wish they would have used a coarse thread with more clearance. It would take half as long. I really like my Kubota but some of its minor design items I think were delegated to the engineering intern. To bad the team who did the L853 loader couldn't do the whole tractor!

/ Could ROPS bolts be easier to use? #13  
here is a pic of the components of the Pin. The pin is 0.6290 in diameter.

Last edited:
   / Could ROPS bolts be easier to use? #14  
I did the same as Boondox did, ground almost all of the threads off, as I have to fold and unfold my ROPS often due to my local needs. You just want to remember to leave sufficient threads on the bolt to just grab the nut, so as to keep the bolt tightly in place. Easy to remove, easy to re-install.

/ Could ROPS bolts be easier to use? #15  
The original bolt is 5/8 " fine thread. I bought a couple of grade 8-- 5/8" X 4" coarse threaded bolts and ground about 11/4" of threads off the end, drilled a diameter hole through near the end and voila, instant pin, same diameter as original, easy to put in /take out.
simonmeridew