Could you please help to identify this unusual American inventor's model of a plow from the 1800s?

/ Could you please help to identify this unusual American inventor's model of a plow from the 1800s? #11  
It is only a model. If it is a model of an ice saw the side "blade" could be used to hold weights, maybe in the form of people standing on it.

/ Could you please help to identify this unusual American inventor's model of a plow from the 1800s? #12  
I don't see it as an ice saw. I see where it could shave ice, but don't see how it would cut blocks of ice. Maybe a forerunner to a Zamboni for conditioning ice rinks?

But the blade/fin on the bottom takes me back to a sod cutter. That might mark or slice the next row, or just help keep it running straight.

/ Could you please help to identify this unusual American inventor's model of a plow from the 1800s? #13  
Can't say that I know, but I'd lean more toward the sod cutter line of thinking rather the ice.

Assuming the ratios are correct, I don't think that vertical cutting blade would go deep enough to cut out ice blocks if the ice was more than a foot deep (if that). ...and even then I'd expect it to to have a very coarse tooth pattern more like the ones show at: Tools for Harvesting the Ice which even there seem to be more for marking parallel lines rather than final cutting

I may be in Alabama now, but I grew up in Minnesota where ice fishing is big enough of a thing that it can be hard not to learn a few things about cutting ice ...so I'd be surprise if that had any use on ice or snow.

I almost wonder if the metal wing wasn't intended to ride atop the ground and cut the grass (like a scythe) - making the process of cutting sod blocks for building a home that much easier. Otherwise I'm having a hard time imagining how the metal wing would be used - particularly for undercutting since it'd put the select-able depth vertical blade below surface.

Last edited:
   / Could you please help to identify this unusual American inventor's model of a plow from the 1800s?
It is only a model. If it is a model of an ice saw the side "blade" could be used to hold weights, maybe in the form of people standing on it.
Interesting thought! I appreciate that! Never thought about people that could be standing on the side blade. But then, why blade and not just any platform that would create pressure for the cutting blade in the middle?

/ Could you please help to identify this unusual American inventor's model of a plow from the 1800s?
Can't say that I know, but I'd lean more toward the sod cutter line of thinking rather the ice.

Assuming the ratios are correct, I don't think that vertical cutting blade would go deep enough to cut out ice blocks if the ice was more than a foot deep (if that). ...and even then I'd expect it to to have a very coarse tooth pattern more like the ones show at: Tools for Harvesting the Ice which even there seem to be more for marking parallel lines rather than final cutting

I may be in Alabama now, but I grew up in Minnesota where ice fishing is big enough of a thing that it can be hard not to learn a few things about cutting ice ...so I'd be surprise if that had any use on ice or snow.

I almost wonder if the metal wing wasn't intended to ride atop the ground and cut the grass (like a scythe) - making the process of cutting sod blocks for building a home that much easier. Otherwise I'm having a hard time imagining how the metal wing would be used - particularly for undercutting since it'd put the select-able depth vertical blade below surface.
Thank you! I agree. The blade is not tough enough to go through the ice all the way down. The horse-drawn ice cutters had multiple blades in a single row. The blade that is on this plow could probably mark the ice but not cut it.

How do you think they would call such a plow in the 1800s? A sod cutter is one idea. I also thought maybe turf cutter. Any other ideas?

I don't see it as an ice saw. I see where it could shave ice, but don't see how it would cut blocks of ice. Maybe a forerunner to a Zamboni for conditioning ice rinks?

But the blade/fin on the bottom takes me back to a sod cutter. That might mark or slice the next row, or just help keep it running straight.
Wow! Thank you! I love your guess about the fin blade. I agree. It would be hard to cut the ice with such a blade.

/ Could you please help to identify this unusual American inventor's model of a plow from the 1800s? #17  
Thank you! I agree. The blade is not tough enough to go through the ice all the way down. The horse-drawn ice cutters had multiple blades in a single row. The blade that is on this plow could probably mark the ice but not cut it.

How do you think they would call such a plow in the 1800s? A sod cutter is one idea. I also thought maybe turf cutter. Any other ideas?
I found references to a breaking/"grasshopper" plow used to speed the harvesting of sod for building here: Building a Sod House ....but didn't find any good pictures of it standing alone.

Could it be that this was just a concept model and not made in large numbers at full scale?

/ Could you please help to identify this unusual American inventor's model of a plow from the 1800s? #18  

And from the link jjp8182 posted:

grasshopper plow.jpg

Bruce

/ Could you please help to identify this unusual American inventor's model of a plow from the 1800s? #19  
After the first pass, the board would run on the stripped soil, so below sod level. How the first pass gets taken out is unclear, but maybe the vertical blade is to score the soil to take the first pass sod off manually.
Sounds reasonable.

I found references to a breaking/"grasshopper" plow used to speed the harvesting of sod for building here: Building a Sod House ....but didn't find any good pictures of it standing alone.

Could it be that this was just a concept model and not made in large numbers at full scale?
Fantastic! Thank you so much!!!