Counter rotating brush hog for B6000E

/ Counter rotating brush hog for B6000E #1  

SteveM

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B7100DT
I have a 78 B6000E with a counter rotating PTO. I would like a 48" brush hog, which leaves me with two options:

1) Anyone know where I could buy one

2) Could I reverse the blade on a regular KingKutter hog and simply run it backwards?

Thanks for your opinions!

/ Counter rotating brush hog for B6000E #2  
Counter rotating? You mean all PTO implements run backwards?

/ Counter rotating brush hog for B6000E #3  
Counter rotating? *scratching head*,,,why would a manufactor
build something like that. Not trying to be impertinent, just wondering. Special purpose machine?

If the blades have a bend in them to create a depression in the center, which I think most of them have, you won't be able to reverse blades. You'll have to grind a cutting edge on the back side of the blade. Can be done, for sure, but take some quality time with a grinder.

I'm not sure about the effect on the gearbox. Probably should be ok(notice the car mechanic cya modifiers, probably & should*G*). I think if the input shaft comes into the gear box half way up the front of the box, it'll be ok for sure. If the input shaft in down low, like a car rear end, it's got helical gears and running in reverse may not be a good idea. But it's probalby got straight spur bevel gears, since they're a lot cheaper to produce, and they don't care which way they're turning.

Dave Perry

/ Counter rotating brush hog for B6000E #4  
Early B6000 tractors were the original prototypes of all the modern Kubota compact tractors, They were the first small Kubota tractors to offer 3 point linkage. The PTO does run backwards on these and is a very small spline size.
Most brush hogs or slashers as we call them in Australia use Italian Bomdioli type gear boxes downunder, These boxes are made to run in either direction. I would assume American manufacturers would do the same.
Check earlier threads on this site as this has been discussed before. Thev main problem people have is using a snow blower with these machines.

/ Counter rotating brush hog for B6000E #5  
I'm still scratching my bald head. Blades would turn backwards, hoes would turn backwards and PSD would have to have a backwards bit too. That's too odd.

/ Counter rotating brush hog for B6000E #6  
I know that Woods made a finish mower to run on those reverse pto tractors. I cannot remember if they also produced a rotary cutter.

/ Counter rotating brush hog for B6000E
I dont want you to scratch your head until it bleeds :) The entire line of tractors at that time had counter rotating PTOs, and a full set of attachments designed to run that way. I have a 4' tiller and 4' belly finish mower, both produced by Woods. They even had a loader, backhoe, snowblower, etc at the time. But I need a brush hog, since the finish mower leaves tall weeds partially uncut. I dont want to put the PTO reverser on, because then I cant use my tiller :(

I may end up simply buying a second old tractor for hogging.