Counterweight build

/ Counterweight build #1  

Aquamoose

Platinum Member
Tractor
Branson 3520h
Had some 8” square tubing lying around and decided to use them for my counterweight. Instead of concrete, I decided to just use sand. It’s 4’ wide and has a receiver hitch. I also had two cargo tie downs from a Chevy Suburban which were used to provide lifting points during the build. It’s secured with 3/8”-18 bolts. I may use the same attachment points to allow me to switch the tie downs for a wood sacrificial platform so I can use it for my chainsaw mount & sharpening station. I’ll be exploring ways to store chain holders, chokers, and logging tongs to it. I don’t plan on skidding or winching anything.

The “quick hitch” is so I can keep the counterweight tight against the lift arms for better maneuvering among trees. It can be picked up & dropped off without getting off the tractor. I do plan to install a locking pin to keep it from hopping off.

Next stages are welding chain hooks before caulking the gaps between the tubes before primer & paint.

It’s a work in progress so I’ll be updating as I go.

IMG_5855.jpg

IMG_5856.jpg

IMG_5962.jpg

IMG_5972.jpg

IMG_5973.jpg

IMG_5974.jpg

/ Counterweight build #2  
I like the build. Especially since it doesn’t stick out from rear of tractor. Sure gonna make it easier to maneuver through the woods. Storing chains on it would be simple. Weld a few hooks on the top and let the chain sweep down between hooks. Like hanging Christmas lights. Plus 4 hooks would give different areas to pull from. Or you could always weld another piece of tubing to top with a hinge door plate on both sides.

/ Counterweight build #3  
Very nice job ! Pushing 1000lbs or am I way off ????

gg

/ Counterweight build #4  
Only thing I see is you probably need some pins or bolts to secure it to the attachment....IF ballast weight is low and you run over a bump it could lift off the angle brackets..... I had a issue where I tipped over my 600 pound ballast and found out my SCUT FEL lift limit is a bit less than the weight...

/ Counterweight build #5  
Nice, neat, tight. That's what I was wondering - weight??

Approximate weights.......
Tubing - - 200#
Sand - - 960#
Hitches, tubing end plates, hooks - - ??

Assuming the tubing is 8"x8"x 1/4" wall thickness - 195# to 200#
Dry sand - - 100# per cubic foot

Last edited:
   / Counterweight build
Very nice job ! Pushing 1000lbs or am I way off ????

Good estimate!

gg

Only thing I see is you probably need some pins or bolts to secure it to the attachment....IF ballast weight is low and you run over a bump it could lift off the angle brackets..... I had a issue where I tipped over my 600 pound ballast and found out my SCUT FEL lift limit is a bit less than the weight...

You missed my original comment about addressing that possibility. When raised to a full height, it’s approximately 18”.

/ Counterweight build #7  
IMG_1387.JPG

Great fabrication using what you have on hand. Boxed framing gives considerable strength.

Love to use square tubing for carrying tools. Can easily add vertical tubing for chainsaw, tools or chain pockets.

If the tubes were vertical? Some?

Good cutting sand blasting sand weighs almost twice as much as regular sand. I’ve collected metal sharps, saw dust, scrap, plasma cutting dust for ballast. A baseball cap amount weighs about 50#. Steel shot not too expensive either. Used almost free.

/ Counterweight build #8  
Nice, neat, tight. That's what I was wondering - weight??

Approximate weights.......
Tubing - - 200#
Sand - - 960#
Hitches, tubing end plates, hooks - - ??

Assuming the tubing is 8"x8"x 1/4" wall thickness - 195# to 200#
Dry sand - - 100# per cubic foot
I'm giving the metal 250# total cause if the attach points, end plates, etc.

But how are you getting 9.6 cu ft of sand. I'm only coming up with about 6.25. (assuming 7.5" square inside)

Nice build though. Kinda like a delta hitch. I always though the Delta hitch was a really nice idea. Self centering and easy hookup rather than modern quick hitches that if you are an inch off it's a no go...trying to like up one triangle seems easier than 3 hooks with 3 pins

/ Counterweight build #9  
Looks good!

Since we all have some advice that might be needed: You might want to weld the top to the square tube. That much weight has a lot of stress on the top link connection.

I built a frame and used 2 inch 1/4 wall tube at the top link. Mine weights in right around 1200 lbs. It bent the tube at the top link. Mine protrudes out the rear so I have to adjust the top link to use it. I Will cut it up and fix one day.

/ Counterweight build #10  
Looks good!

Since we all have some advice that might be needed: You might want to weld the top to the square tube. That much weight has a lot of stress on the top link connection.

I built a frame and used 2 inch 1/4 wall tube at the top link. Mine weights in right around 1200 lbs. It bent the tube at the top link. Mine protrudes out the rear so I have to adjust the top link to use it. I Will cut it up and fix one day.
As close as the weight is to the tractor, there should be very little force in the toplink.

Not sure what you are suggesting he weld? Anymore weld and it will no longer be his version of a quick hitch setup