Counterweight

/ Counterweight
Pretty slick little weight, like the low center of gravity.

/ Counterweight #22  
Nice. Very compact for it's weight which is great!!!

If you aren't too far,,, I'd suggest locating the lift pins so you can set it down anywhere. In the pic you won't be able to set it on the ground and get unhitched.

I often pick up my counterweight, do a five minute job, set it back down, never leave the seat, no special unhitching process required. :)

I’d have to second this, of corse mine is just a large concrete square so setting it straight on the ground isn’t a issue.

/ Counterweight
I really don't want the metal frame in contact with the soil. A couple of concrete blocks will keep it up off the ground. Can't see needing to drop it anywhere but in the dedicated implement storage area. Bucket or fork work, both should have the weight on. Great discussions, thanks.

/ Counterweight #24  
That's what's important. Design it to fit your needs!!!!

/ Counterweight #25  
I have about 800 lbs of used sheet lead.
Would like to find an easy way of melting it, and what to use for a casting mold....5 or 10 lbs each

I melted mine in a metal coffee can on an old propane camping stove. I made up metal boxes to pour the molten lead into. I have one front weight for the smaller tractor and two weights for the land leveler.

For just casting into ingots, I use the 2# molds that bullet casters use. I have also used muffin tins with a half dozen round 5# molds. You can also cast into metal cans from peas, etc. You won't get the lead out of the cans but you can leave it in there until you need it and then just melt it in the cans (best not to fill to the top however.)

/ Counterweight #26  
Make very sure you have clean fresh air to breathe. Wash thoroughly after exposure. Realize that lead builds up in the body.

I have been involved in shooting and reloading as a hobby for over 40 years. Remember when they outlawed lead paint? The research on lead poisoning is deep and scary. Knowing what I know, I handle lead with care and NEVER melt it. It's just not worth it to me. I'm getting ready to build a counterweight, and will use concrete.

You might be worrying about the wrong thing.

At one point my blood lead level was elevated. I had been casting bullets in the basement. I quit. It didn't help.

I quit shooting lead bullets. It didn't help.

Finally I realized it was the poor ventilation at the indoor shooting range. In most lanes I could see smoke circulating. I started demanding to use the one or two lanes that seemed to have the best ventilation. Bingo! My lead levels went down to normal.

The problem was not lead casting or lead bullets, it was exposure to the lead in everyone's primers at the range.

YMMV

/ Counterweight
Don't think the better half would be impressed with melting lead in the kitchen. There is a lot of smoke and stink from contaminents on the lead. Best done outside to keep the peace. Also on a side note, any moisture trapped in the melting pot becomes superheated steam and you get a visit from the Tinsel Fairy.

/ Counterweight #29  
You might be worrying about the wrong thing.

At one point my blood lead level was elevated. I had been casting bullets in the basement. I quit. It didn't help.

I quit shooting lead bullets. It didn't help.

Finally I realized it was the poor ventilation at the indoor shooting range. In most lanes I could see smoke circulating. I started demanding to use the one or two lanes that seemed to have the best ventilation. Bingo! My lead levels went down to normal.

The problem was not lead casting or lead bullets, it was exposure to the lead in everyone's primers at the range.

YMMV

One of many reasons I shoot outdoors 95% of the time.

/ Counterweight #30  
A good use for sheet lead is making EMP proof containers...you never know...!
EMP shielding requires good electrical and magnetic conductivity. Lead doesnt really fit the bill for either and is cumbersome due its weight.