Country Boy i n City Traffic

/ Country Boy i n City Traffic #21  
Wow! All that and you can still function rationally, actually repeat the details to us without using His name in vain?!
You're one tough hombre Scruffy.
I'm afraid to ask if your guys forgot the dubber on the front clip...were you in for
an oil change? Did you have a chance to pull the dipstick. Hope forgotten items didn't include loose or unreplaced oil filter can, drain plug, oil filler cap, dipstick.
If a timing chain/belt snaked off its gears/cogged pullies etc you sure would hear it. Since you re-started the demon possessed vehicle, that's not likely.
Hope the word seize is not part of the diagnostic conclusion.
Since I'm a Catholic, maybe I could find a good exorcist to smote the shagnasties possessing your baby.
Sorry, 'taint real funny, but thats a strange combination of
mechanical cries for help and a strange sequence of manifestation. Big help I am. Hope the truck fairies fix it tonight but please keep us/me posted. With odd electrical naughty bits happening along with the engine noise there might be a need to trouble shoot the water pump/alternator/ pwr steer/etc belt and pully system.
You've probably forgotten more than I know. I don't mean to expert your truck from Gig Harbor. Here I go again...do you have any 'fused wire' connections or dual batts w/ an isolator?
Do you have a healthy air conditioning system if you have one?
The clutch on the freon compressor can reap havoc on many electrical components as it does a slow hari-kari over time. A seizing air/cond clutch/pully and electrical circuits can be a clam hitch to isolate and to easily force a confession from.
Sorry for the split infinity.
May the Good Lord take a like'n to ya.

LazyK.gif

Lazy K - Chip

/ Country Boy i n City Traffic
It sounded like a bearing tried to seize up. A very definate metal on metal shreiking squeal. The oil pressure had dropped to zero (both idiot light on, and pressure gauge at very bottom). There was a couple of miles that the gauge was bouncing from normal to zero with idiot light coming on, then it flat lined. I am not sure if that 3.9 V6 has an external (serpentine belt) driven oil pump or not. If so, and the belt was loose, it could explain all except for the ABS Brake light being on, that would be explained by improper adjustment, and or air in system. Elevated temp could be explained by lack of oil being pumped to lubricate the engine, but when on the main road, there was no indication of a major problem. First indicator was pulling the first hill coming up the canyon that I live in, that's when the lifters started clattering/collapsing.
Everything in front of the firewall, excluding engine, front suspension/wheels, and right front fender, was replaced, and the left frame rail straightened. Radiator, and air conditioning condensor, and transmission cooler...(strike that last, they didn't replace that, which is another thing to get rectified)...were also replaced.
The oil level is at optimum, as are all other fluid levels.
I have found one ground wire hanging in the engine compartment, and the air intake hose not connected to the air cleaner, so far that is all. Main thing I saw is the sudden loss of oil pressure, regaining it, and loss again. (several times) Such as a blocked line/filter could cause, although engine has a by-pass in case of a blockage in the filter.
P.S. - Chip, you can see why it was in the shop in the attachment on first post.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by scruffy on 10/27/00 02:58 AM.</FONT></P>

/ Country Boy i n City Traffic #23  
Bob...sure glad I got my expert two-cents in re your truck prob. I'll remember next time that I'm on a TRACTOR forum talking to people who have more savvy than I. Thanks for posting me on how you diagnosed your mechanical situation in depth!
Listening and learning is what I should do more of. Enough self examination!

Do you ever trailer your tractor? Any tips on rigging the tie-downs or best locations on a typical machine to attach to/around?

Best to ya.

LazyK.gif

Lazy K - Chip

I have a 16 foot tandem axle car trailer that I use for portability. I welded (at each end) two 1/2" steel plates with 'eyes' cut into them, about a foot inside of each corner. I use four (some people don't like them) 10,000lb rated tiedown straps, generally pulling forward and stopping then tighten rear straps again, then back up and stop, pausing to retighten the front strap set. I loop them over the axle in the rear, and around the front axle, and over the bucket down to the eyes. So far, it has never offered to go anywhere, front,rear or to the side. Whether you use chain or strap, try to always stop after a few miles to recheck your tiedowns, and make frequent stops to check while transporting...at least until you get an idea how its going to hold. Everytime you stop, take a moment to check your load, and insure your tiedowns are still nice and tight.

Well, it looks better, but I sure hope I can get the oil pressure figured out. Not usable as it is.

P.S. - Sorry about the picture quality, but its dusk and raining, in which the rain is rather rare in SOCAL.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by scruffy on 10/27/00 10:22 PM.</FONT></P>

/ Country Boy i n City Traffic #26  
Bob...good to be reminded of the 'cheap insurance' benefits of tugging your laces to pull any slack out of tie downs. A quick lurch and stop to let you take up looseness is better than finding the bucket taking out your tailgate or rear window.
Better yet, some rear 3pt forks! Had an Emglo compressor gernade the back window of my pick-up up in Alaska once. A small bit of slack in the tie down let the rigging un-hook. Couldda found it and re-tightened if your
checklist was followed.(Oh yea, 40 mi.to drive @ -13 degrees w/o a rear window.)
Reason I'm looking for ideas on anchor points and tie-downs is my next job in completing a re-build of an 18' flat-bed. Hooks/eyes/stakebed pockets/fixed ratchet strap tensioners/and bullet-proof tail-light mounts are next.
Thanks for your ideas.

LazyK.gif

Lazy K - Chip

Chip, I hauled that Ram P/U clear across the country on that trailer! Never had a problem. I also hauled a 94 Chrysler LHS around half the country on that same trailer. It has retired from the heavy work and now just enjoys hauling the tractor, which is much lighter! Tomorrow, I will use it to haul a bunch of corral fence sections 75 miles....in trade for a Honda ATC for my son.

/ Country Boy i n City Traffic #28  
Scruffy, I realize this is sort of a "master of the obvious" kind of statement, but: It doesn't sound like today was a good day for you. I'm glad you're in such good humor despite it all, but I think you'd better call this one done and go to bed. I don't think I'd stay up any longer tonight - it's just too much of a risk. I sure hope tomorrow goes better for you, buddy!

MarkC

MarkC, its been one heck of a month. Well at least the truck is home, but if you can think of anything that would instantly drop the oil pressure from 65lbs to zero, and let it pop right back to normal, or stay at zero, let me know!

When it happens, if I shut it down and let it set for a minute, the pressure is right back where it should be.
I don't see where the pickup tube could have dropped off, as that would be continuous. Bad oil pump? That's mechanical, it if it is driven off the bottom of the distributor, then the engine would die also. The only thing I can think of is some type of intermittant blockage....but what? how?
I picked up a new oil filter and oil, will change all that in the morning, just to illiminate possibility of contamination.
Frankly, it has me stumped. Not to mention tired. I think I will take your advice. G'Night all.

/ Country Boy i n City Traffic #30  
Scruffy - The only thing I can think of that could cause that is the bypass valve in the oil filter, and you'll know whether it's that or not shortly. I'll ponder it while I'm out today, though, in case that's not it.

MarkC