country cemetery

/ country cemetery #1  

mikim

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH TC45
I belong to an association that keeps up an old cemetery from 1831 (before Texas was even a republic) and I have a place there for me & the wife when our time comes. They spent some time & effort over the last 3 years and got a Texas historical marker for it. Alum Creek was a big deal town back in the day. It was a major stop on the road from Harrisburg (later called Houston) to the new place on the Colorado River that was picked to become the capital of the republic - Austin. Lots of history in this area... and we think it's neat to try to keep some of it viable.

Attachments

• 879677-AlumCreekCemetery.jpg
    879677-AlumCreekCemetery.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 471
   / country cemetery
It's a darn small assoc ... for a darn small cemetery -- here we have about 80% of the membership.

Attachments

• 879678-Assoc members.jpg
    879678-Assoc members.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 360
   / country cemetery #3  
I think it's great that you guys are putting in the effort. Kind of interesting- here in the states 1831 was a long time ago- in Europe that doesn't even make old! Keep up the good work!

/ country cemetery #4  
Mike, that looks like a pretty place to spend some time while you're still alive. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ country cemetery #5  
That is so cool! When I lived in town I was down the block from a cemetary so old that Lenni Lenape indians who had converted to Christianity were buried there. The neighbor took care of the place, and it was important enough that some of the elementary school kids would have class trips there. They learned about Chief Tuccamirgan and some of the town's founders. Maybe the association could get more people involved and make a stronger connection to your community's past. There are so many small, ancient family cemetaries here in NJ. You're doing a great job! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ country cemetery #6  
Alum Creek is a pretty area.
I just visited Texas Kiln Products (shameless plug) Saturday for some real nice lumber.

/ country cemetery
I plan on spending my last 20 - 30 years very near there on my 20 acre retirement place that I am currently working on. Just got a well put in and am now trying to get scheduled for a barn .... the house won't be for 3 years yet. Then -- if all my plans work out -- I'll go to town about once a month ... if I really have to.

/ country cemetery #8  
Mike

Let me make a small correction re: Houston vs Harrisburg. I was born in the area that was Harrisburg so have some knowledge.

Harrisburg was an established community for many years before the Allen Brothers created Houston. It was temporarily the capitol of the Republic of Texas at the time of the Battle at San Jacinto.

A few years after that the Allen brothers came to town, moved a few miles up Buffalo bayou and set up a town site. Named it Houston after Sam Houston for the advertising value and advertised it in northeastern newspapers with some extravagant claims. Any way Houston grew and absorbed Harrisburg but the area still carries that name.

Vernon

/ country cemetery
I stand corrected /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif... thank you Vern /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif .... My wife probably woulda corrected me on that as well ... she's the one with the real itch for Texas land history. I like it too ... but since she works in the title business and has on occasion reviewed some actual paperwork from back then -- and understands it ---she gets a much better appreciation from it than I do. It's not unusual for me to get stuff mixed up. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ country cemetery #10  
Mike

There is a little more to that tale. The Allen brothers were real hucksters and the Harrises were content with things the way they were which is why the Allens moved up the bayou.

Vernon