County covid vax data breached

/ County covid vax data breached #1  

gsganzer

Elite Member
Tractor
L3800 w/FEL and BH77, BX 2200 w/FEL and MMM
Hopefully this thread doesn't go off the rails, but I'm not holding out hope. BTW, I've been vaxxed.

However, I just got a letter in the mail from the County Commissioners Court that their database was breached and names, DOB, phone number, Covid 19 vax data and email addresses may have been accessible to anonymous users. I don't know why this one seems to chap my butt so much, maybe I'm just getting more cantankerous as I age, but this is the type of thing that has all of us losing confidence with our public and government entities. With the uphill battle to encourage people to get vaccinated, surely this doesn't help. I'm not sure there's a better example of shooting yourself in the foot.

On a bigger note, this again brings up the issue of personal data security and liability for those that collect and store our personal data, in many cases, without you knowing or approving of it. I guess we live in an age where you have to assume nothing is private anymore.

/ County covid vax data breached #2  
Hopefully this thread doesn't go off the rails, but I'm not holding out hope. BTW, I've been vaxxed.

However, I just got a letter in the mail from the County Commissioners Court that their database was breached and names, DOB, phone number, Covid 19 vax data and email addresses may have been accessible to anonymous users. I don't know why this one seems to chap my butt so much, maybe I'm just getting more cantankerous as I age, but this is the type of thing that has all of us losing confidence with our public and government entities. With the uphill battle to encourage people to get vaccinated, surely this doesn't help. I'm not sure there's a better example of shooting yourself in the foot.

On a bigger note, this again brings up the issue of personal data security and liability for those that collect and store our personal data, in many cases, without you knowing or approving of it. I guess we live in an age where you have to assume nothing is private anymore.

I agree with you. Medical data breaches are bad news.

Hopefully your insurance information wasn’t part of the data breach. If do, contact your insurance company to be aware of possible fraud claims.

Good luck.

MoKelly

/ County covid vax data breached #3  
I have found documents online at the County Courthouse with my SS number in them. People that want to search can find about anything they want.

The best protection I found was the ability to receive text messages for any charge over $20 on my accounts. I guess I could have set the limit for any amount. If they compromise my money they won't get far or with very much.

/ County covid vax data breached #4  
Our local hospital got hacked into and ransomed. It lasted 3-4 days until it was resolved.

/ County covid vax data breached #5  
I wouldn't worry about money in this case. The hackers are just after names and dates, etc to use as fake vax certificates! No problem - you are helping out the vax numbers!

/ County covid vax data breached #6  
Names and addresses with a DOB can be used to apply for many things and are the basis of many identify thefts...SS numbers can be had using names and DOBs via different sources...

It's not a legal requirement to have an e-mail address so giving that to whomever is 100% voluntarily...

/ County covid vax data breached #7  
It happens all the time, and for more to corporations on a daily basis. Most government agencies, particularly at the county levels, rarely protect their network systems and their database is usually available wide open to be copied. They simply lack funding and sufficient experience to protect their networks.

Also, surprised your county health department took your SSN down for your vaccine record. That does make the database theft more significant.

/ County covid vax data breached #8  
It happens all the time, and far more to corporations on a daily basis. Most government agencies, particularly at the county levels, rarely protect their network systems and their database is usually available wide open to be copied. They simply lack funding and sufficient experience to protect their networks.

Very lucky your county health department did not take your SSN down for your vaccine record. That would have made the database theft more significant.

/ County covid vax data breached #9  
The biggest failure is that the US government and other large governments have not worked together to stop this stuff. Most likely, there is at least one state sponsor of this stuff, but not all of this would be coming from them. Mostly, it is hacks and loser trying to scam some cash.

/ County covid vax data breached #10  
The biggest failure is that the US government and other large governments have not worked together to stop this stuff. Most likely, there is at least one state sponsor of this stuff, but not all of this would be coming from them. Mostly, it is hacks and loser trying to scam some cash.
Indeed State Sponsorship.
Top five are in order of capabilities:

Russia
North Korea
China
Serbia
Iran

But this county health department hack was most likely a local individual.