County Noise Ordinances?

/ County Noise Ordinances? #22  
2 to 5 acre lots zoned residential on one side. About 600 feet away. That's where most of the neighbors who violate the zoning noise ordnance laws are. Rural, farms, surrounded by encroaching suburb types.

One neighbor in back about 1/2 a mile away, with his "factory" mufflers hits over 80db in my house when he rides. He rides right on the property line too. Even though he has 20 acres. I talked with him a few times, he knows it's loud. His next door neighbor threated to call the cops on him. Nice guy, but he just does not get it. I have said what I can say...not bothering him about it anymore...
I don't understand people who have loud mufflers. Continued exposure to these noise levels will permanently wreck the guy's own hearing.

/ County Noise Ordinances?
10 acre minimum but neighb

/ County Noise Ordinances? #25  
Been in our place for 2 years so we are newcomers. We are in an unincorporated, very very small town with minimum lot sizes of 4/5 acres near us. All forested so sound does not tend to matter. When I say town, I exagerate. We have a gas station, a post office and a bar and those are along the Highway several miles away.

Someone bought lot about 1/2 a mile from us last year and they have started a Wedding venue business. Most Fri-Sun nights, they have an event. Thru the hilly forest we hear DJ's and booming music from the afternoons to the evening.

Now if I had bought a place near an airport or gun range, I would not complain. But to add this business to a quiet peaceful area seems disrespectful. There are actions being taken to see what can be done to ensure they are not violating noise or land use/permit ordinances and a public comment period coming up next week.

I don't want to try to control how people use their land, but this seems like it is a bit over the top when you outrage everyone within 3/4 of a mile multiple days a week. Oh Well.

/ County Noise Ordinances? #26  
I don't understand people who have loud mufflers. Continued exposure to these noise levels will permanently wreck the guy's own hearing.
Half of the loud mufflers around here are young kids. The other half are older guys with older beat up trucks.

Pops had a 1980ish dodge. When the stock muffler rotted/ rusted out, he just went down to the autoparts store and bought the cheapest replacement they had which were cherry bombs if I remember correctly.

Years ago, I had a newer f150 with a V8. I was on my way back from Arkansas, headed back to Florida. Someone lost a piece of rebar. It got kicked up ripping a hole in the muffler.

I about went deaf for the last 8hrs driving home. Priced out a new muffler at Ford. They wanted $1600

I went on line and ordered a dual exhaust kit (Heart Throb) from JC Whitney for $200. That truck had a mean sound growl after that

My current truck is nice and quiet. But if something damaged the exhaust, then I would probably just install a dual exhaust kit like I did on the old truck. Dealers are super proud of their mufflers

/ County Noise Ordinances? #27  
I'm in rural Washington on 17 acres and most neighbors have much more land.

Always very good relations with all my neighbors except my closest have not met since 2005... others say he is kind of a recluse and doesn't socialize and his homestead almost looks let go like no one maintains it...

I'm on s tight schedule and was using a rented Honda pressure washer and a car comes down my road so I shut down the Honda.

He says the noise is driving him out of his house and it's Sunday 8 pm... I would be done by 9 and he says we have noise Ordinances...

I say I'm sorry it's bothering you and ask him what time he leaves for work in the morning... no answer.

I say since 2005 we are neighbors...

The original washer I reserved was returned broken so this one is for Sunday only.

Noise ordinance says quiet hours start at 10 pm daily... the morning work begin hours vary.

Part of me after double checking the ordinance says I should just finish and keep to schedule... the other part does not want to make waves when U live 800 miles away...

Sad for a first interaction and more so now in that all 3 of my wonderful neighbors passed away in the last 12 months...

How would you handle the situation?
I would not make noise on Sundays if I can help it. (but I see your problem)
Ten o'clock seems plenty late for noise when I have to get up at 5 am again. I would hesitate after 8 or 9; some people have children sleeping.
Seven in the morning people can all wake up as far as I'm concerned. Of course, snow-plowing is different.
But around here we are all farmers so we understand harvesting noises and stuff like that.

/ County Noise Ordinances? #28  
Been in our place for 2 years so we are newcomers. We are in an unincorporated, very very small town with minimum lot sizes of 4/5 acres near us. All forested so sound does not tend to matter. When I say town, I exagerate. We have a gas station, a post office and a bar and those are along the Highway several miles away.

Someone bought lot about 1/2 a mile from us last year and they have started a Wedding venue business. Most Fri-Sun nights, they have an event. Thru the hilly forest we hear DJ's and booming music from the afternoons to the evening.

Now if I had bought a place near an airport or gun range, I would not complain. But to add this business to a quiet peaceful area seems disrespectful. There are actions being taken to see what can be done to ensure they are not violating noise or land use/permit ordinances and a public comment period coming up next week.

I don't want to try to control how people use their land, but this seems like it is a bit over the top when you outrage everyone within 3/4 of a mile multiple days a week. Oh Well.
I would assume the guests stay on the wedding venue's property so most of the sound should stay there too.

/ County Noise Ordinances? #29  
I believe in being considerate of other people. I wish more people did also.

I make an effort to avoid making noise if possible, during what most reasonable people consider quiet times. Or, when I see some people are having a get together.

Most people here, refrain from making noise on Sunday afternoons. But, we also seem to understand there may be times when it's not possible.

I am always willing to accommodate a simple request from a neighbor, provided I'm dealing with someone who I can have a reasonable conversation with, so we try to understand each other's side of it.

/ County Noise Ordinances?
Updates… the same person visited today as I was wrapping up and I waited until 9 am to start…

First thought was not my best but he rolled down the window and said he wanted to apologize first and second to thank me for stopping yesterday.

He said it is normally very quiet here and it was jarring yesterday and he thought for sure I would stop at sunset... but I still had an hour left...

My friend happen to walk by his place this morning just before I wrapped up. She said she could really hear it echo by his place where she heard very little at my place…

Also learned he is a long term renter and loves the forested place because it’s so peaceful…

Here is the offending pressure washer with the mini excavator I had for the weekend

PS… I let the rental company know what happened and owner said no one requested so keep it to noon to finish no extra charge…

PPS... the Kubota powered mini ex is whisper quiet compared to the Honda powered washer...

Attachments

• 8594CC17-D7CC-446C-AB74-4EF19D7BD91A.jpeg
    8594CC17-D7CC-446C-AB74-4EF19D7BD91A.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 88
Last edited: