Countyline 3-point post hole digger for New Holland TD24DA

/ Countyline 3-point post hole digger for New Holland TD24DA #1  

jkk04

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 410 backhoe, MF 30 industrial tractor, IH TD-14 dozer, New Holland TZ24DA
Purchased this 3point digger and Land Pride BB1248 box scraper for my New Holland TD24DA from local craigslist recently.
Paid only $450 for both. (Very good deal) 🤤🤤🤤🤤

They are practically new. The previous owner's tractor didn't have enough power for carrying those attachments.

It is the first time I have ever used this post hole digger in my life.

Unfortunately, my tractor does not have enough power for operating this digger. So, shame......

But it was a very good experiment and summer fun...

John's Ranch

/ Countyline 3-point post hole digger for New Holland TD24DA #2  
Ya…you need more ponies under the hood for that sized unit i would think. Mines about that size on a 45 hp unit.

/ Countyline 3-point post hole digger for New Holland TD24DA #3  
Doesn't take too much horsepower to turn one, the horsepower is needed to pull it back up.
I run one on a 34hp tractor at low throttle, I notice that the engine grunts a little bit when lifting the auger full of damp soil.

/ Countyline 3-point post hole digger for New Holland TD24DA #4  
But the tractor in picture mayby has 18 hp at pto.

/ Countyline 3-point post hole digger for New Holland TD24DA #5  
You should be able to run that on your tractor! I used the same size on my little LS MT125, with only 17 PTO hp. Take small bites (maybe 4-6") and frequently lift it out / up.
I did make the mistake when I first started using it and screwed it into the ground.... definitely not enough "lift" to pull it out. I was also running at higher rpm. Run it at 15-1600 rpm, maybe a little more.

IMPORTANT:
On your setup, move the U shaped lower bracket to the next hole or two on the boom, towards the gearbox. Set it up that the auger tip is just BARELY above the ground when the 3 point is lifted all the way up.
This will give you more "up" leverage and range to go lower.
Use a bungee to pull the auger back towards the tractor when transporting / moving the tractor if needed.

Forget about using the bar on the PHD....
Keep one hand on the PTO switch (so you can turn it off quickly), and the other hand on the 3 point lift lever.

When you are ready to start, lower the 3 point lever down about halfway, start the PTO, and get ready to lift. The auger should start digging in.

As soon as you hear the tractor start to load the engine, or you have gone down about 6+ inches, lift it up to clear the dirt. You have to be quick! (Hence keeping your hands on the controls). I usually keep the auger going and just drop it back in the hole. Rinse and repeat multiple times.

If you get it stuck, shut off the tractor, put your PTO selector in neutral, and use a big pipe wrench to turn the auger backwards .... it will loosen up in about 1/2 to 3/4 turn.

There is an "art" to using it. The more practice, the better you will get. It also depends on soil conditions too.... it will be much harder when its dry.

I run an Ag-Maier PHD on my 25hp / 19PTO hp tractor with a 12" auger. I probably lift it at least 5-6 times digging to 42-48". I also run the rpms about no more than half throttle, usually less.

Last edited:
   / Countyline 3-point post hole digger for New Holland TD24DA #6  
I watched the video to the end when you 'got it stuck'..... IT SHOULD NEVER LIFT THAT HIGH!
MOVE THE BOTTOM U SHAPED SUPPORT TO HOLES FURTHER OUT ON THE BOOM! Lifting that high is going to blow apart the u-joints.

/ Countyline 3-point post hole digger for New Holland TD24DA
I watched the video to the end when you 'got it stuck'..... IT SHOULD NEVER LIFT THAT HIGH!
MOVE THE BOTTOM U SHAPED SUPPORT TO HOLES FURTHER OUT ON THE BOOM! Lifting that high is going to blow apart the u-joints.
Thank you for your tip.
As seen in the video, I made an extra hole far side to the 3 point hitch due to not enough to lift the augur.
But the new hole makes the augur too high now.😩😩
I might make another hole between the last and second holes and practice more.🤤🤤
Jkk

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    660.2 KB · Views: 64
   / Countyline 3-point post hole digger for New Holland TD24DA #8  
Yes, you want to move that mounting point towards the gearbox of the auger. That will lower the boom down some, and increase the lift due to geometry.

Simple way to do this....
Have the boom attached to the tractor at the top link mount. Use a block of wood (or whatever) under the auger tip to hold it about 3-4" off the ground.

Have the U shaped lower support attached to the tractors lower 3 point arms, the mounting tab just laying on the ground, NOT ATTACHED to the boom. Lift the 3 point up all the way. (The U shaped support should move up, but not the boom). Now manually lift the U shaped support up to the boom, match up the mounting tab to the closest hole in the boom. (If it is between 2 holes, go to the one closer to the tractor).

This will allow you to fully lift the auger out of a hole, and have full range down. Again, take small bites, lifting out the dirt with each bite. Take your time, experiment with different RPM/PTO speeds.

Hope all this helps. Don't be discouraged.... it takes practice. There is a definite learning curve. That auger WILL work on your tractor.

/ Countyline 3-point post hole digger for New Holland TD24DA #9  
That hole you made (circled in red) is going the wrong direction.... you need to move the U shaped support mount AWAY from the tractor, more towards the center of the boom.
Follow my previous post to set the boom correctly.

/ Countyline 3-point post hole digger for New Holland TD24DA #10  
It really depends on the soil. I have clay, and I have to be very careful or I will screw my tractor to the ground.