Couple of screws loose...

/ Couple of screws loose... #1  

DVerbarg

Platinum Member
Tractor
No longer have :-(
I was inspired by seeing what others had done to make their TCxx units warm-up better in the cold weather and ordered the parts from McMasterCarr. Parts arrived as expected and went out to install. Brrr is it cold out there!

As I got ready to cut the coolant hose a couple holes in the FEL sub-frame caught my attention. Hmmm, that doesn't look right. Followed the frame back, oops, those two missing screws are designed to hold the right front of the FEL sub frame to the tractor frame. /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif So much for using the FEL in the next few days. /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif
Checked the left side and those bolts are loose! (Well at least they aren't missing too!)

Has anyone else had this problem?

/ Couple of screws loose... #2  
Sounds like the dealer did not get the sub frame bolts tight when he installed your loader. Not a problem with your tractor or loader.

/ Couple of screws loose... #3  
Okay, just how many of us are going to look into this thread just to make sure they're not talking about us? /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

As long as I'm here, I've found that it's just good practice to inspect for loose nuts, bolts and screws on a regular basis. It's one of the standard "pre-flight" things I do now as I'm waiting for the tractor to warm up. And yes, I've found one or two.
wink.gif

/ Couple of screws loose... #4  
Dave, I found two bolts loose on my front axle mounting to the tractor frame. They are similar to the FEL subframe. The only thing I can suggest is to make a regular check as Harv mentioned. I do it at least every 25 hours when I'm doing the regular lubrication. More often would be even better. On new or relatively new equipment that works this hard, you will almost always manage to shake something loose. My King Kutter made rotary cutter is always shaking bolts loose./w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif I check it every time I use it.

/ Couple of screws loose... #5  
Yes.
Made it a habit check all the nuts, bolts, clamps etc on a regular basis.

Egon

/ Couple of screws loose... #6  
I check all the bolts once a month when I am duing the regular PM on my tractor... This is after I have found no loose bolts after getting the tractor and checking then at least once a week for two weeks in a row.. It is best to get into routine and stay with it.

/ Couple of screws loose... #7  
A couple of days after my new Boomer was delivered, I noticed 3 loose bolts on the left rear wheel. I tightened them and then checked all the rest of them.

/ Couple of screws loose...
Ok,

I get the point, regularly check all the bolts/nuts. Have any of you used locktite or some other form of thread binder? What are your thoughts? Pro or Con?

/ Couple of screws loose... #9  
Dave, I have not had to use Locktite or other means on any bolts.. None seem to be a problem. I would use the light stuff if need be as have used it on other items...

/ Couple of screws loose... #10  
Dave, I wouldn't use Locktite except if certain bolts repeatedly became loose. Otherwise, you are going to be disassembling/reassembling your whole tractor./w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif You just can't always guess which bolts will loosen. If they have the proper lockwashers and are tightened to the correct torque spec., you should be safe.