Cover crop Winter Rye, dies after two weks

/ Cover crop Winter Rye, dies after two weks #1  

Paddy

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota, G5200, KAMA 454
Good day,

I had some earth work done and it created a slope that needed erosion control. Winter Rye, not annual rye grass, was highly recommended for it's aggressive roots and fast germination.

I dampened the soil, spread the seed, raked it in and covered with straw. Due to the heat and lack of rain in the mid-west this time of year, I ran the sprinkler most days for 20 mins. With in 4 days, there were sprouts everywhere, a carpet of green.

I kept watering but started to notice there was patches with out green, and it just kept growing to the point it's most all gone.

It's been in the mid 90's now for 2 weeks. Does heat kill it even if it get's water often? It definitely over watered and it's on a hill

Ideas? Experience with Winter Rye?

/ Cover crop Winter Rye, dies after two weks #2  
I have had generally good experiences with winter rye in the Midwest. I have never had to battle both heat and a lack of rain while trying to sprout seeds. My personal view was that the cover crop was needed when it was raining. I.e. I never tried too hard if it was dry.

I have also used crown vetch for erosion control on slopes, but it can be aggressive, and problematic if you don't mow it or have grazing animals.

All the best,

Peter

/ Cover crop Winter Rye, dies after two weks #3  
In Florida winter rye is not planted until night temperatures cool to 60 degrees F. or cooler. December is often the first month it is sown.

I do not know how that relates to Indiana, but I suspect it is too warm.

/ Cover crop Winter Rye, dies after two weks #4  
We use oats which will grow this time of year too, and they die out mostly with a winter freeze. Rye does really well but it does grow aggressively the following spring, so keep that in mind if you intend to seed with something else then.

/ Cover crop Winter Rye, dies after two weks #5  
You said it was WINTER rye... Heat will kill it.

/ Cover crop Winter Rye, dies after two weks #6  
Top dressed my tee boxes with winter rye for years, never had to spray to remove because the heat aways killed it.

/ Cover crop Winter Rye, dies after two weks
well it looks like I'll need to replant in a month. Lows have been 70 degrees

/ Cover crop Winter Rye, dies after two weks #8  
Even dead, the roots will help with erosion more than if it was just bare soil.

/ Cover crop Winter Rye, dies after two weks #9  
Google "Indiana county extension office".

I've contacted the Michigan county extension service a few times over the years and they have been very helpful.

Also, generally speaking, grasses need at least an inch of water per day. Depending on sprinklers being used, that is probably at least a couple hours a day running each sprinkler. Get a couple cheap rain gauges and see how long it takes to register an inch.

/ Cover crop Winter Rye, dies after two weks #10  
Winter wheat shouldn’t be planted until soil temp is below 80F (and will stay below 80F) and there is good moisture in the soil. It should be planted below the soil level but no more than 3” deep.

Winter wheat needs .20-.25 inches of water per day. So, that’s roughly 1.5 inches per week. Don’t drown the seeds with too much water.

Good luck.

MoKelly