Cover Deck

/ Cover Deck #1  

zene55

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L2800
My wife and I have 11 acres in Dripping Springs Texas. It is very hilly and rocky in that area. We bought it with a 60x40 building already in place. There was a ply wood walled living area that we are 95% finished remodeling. My next big project is building a 20x20 covered deck to attach to the building.

I am going to use pressure treated lumber for the decking but use cedar for the roof. I will have 6" stripped cedar poles and cedar beams. I am going to dig the holes for the beams next week. I am debating buying a 3pt post hole digger or just renting a 2 person digger.

I used my Kubota L2800 and box blade to lower the level near the door and it worked great.

Pictures to follow soon.

/ Cover Deck #3  
Might try out the 2 person digger before buying the 3 ph digger. Depending on how rocky, neither might work well. But the rental will give you some good ideas.
Pics would be great.

/ Cover Deck
DSC_1379.JPG

Adding the Covered Deck to this side of the building

My website/

/ Cover Deck #5  
We rented a 3 point post hole digger when we put in our fence a few years ago. Worked great and didn't cost very much.

Good luck!

Attachments

• Fence.jpg
    Fence.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 192
   / Cover Deck #6  
How many holes do you have to dig?

Do you think you will have more in the future.

The 2 person rental works well, but it is a work out. You have both the effort of lifting it, but more importantly (and far more work) is bracing against the torque of the bit.

The PHD may be the larger investment, but if you have a lot of holes to do for this project and maybe some fencing in the future, it will pay for itself in sore backs and bruises.

/ Cover Deck #7  
If I remember correctly, there where 39. We used 6x6 posts because they looked nicer than 4x4. Each leg of the fence is 49'.

We have use the two person machines in the past. The first time I was trying to hold it us so it didn't screw its self into the ground and my wife was pushing down to get the job done faster! :laughing:

Renting is nice if you are only using once or twice. At some point it makes more finical sense to buy. Or it is just nice to have it for your own.

Both will work. The two person will cost less I would think. I know it will be more work.

Have fun!!!!

/ Cover Deck #8  
z55, We are about to get a new building - we considered getting a lean-to but then decided we'll try to do it on our own later down the road. Please keep us updated with pics of your covered deck. Have you priced the material yet?

/ Cover Deck
The material for the deck is standard pressure treated material and came in around 950, I got peeled cedar poles and peeled cedar beams and joist. The cedar came in around 900. I have 5 poles to install so I think I am going to rent the 2 man auger.

/ Cover Deck
Broke down and bought a post hole digger. Worked great up until the last post. 18 inches down hit a huge rock. Tried to break it up but no luck.