Covered bridges

/ Covered bridges #1  

crazyal

Tractor
Kubota, Case, Deere
I live within a half hours drive of almost 20 covered bridges. Tuesday I took a break from firewood and the GF and I went for an afternoon drive. Here's some of the pictures we took. Share any you have.
WatervilleVillage6s_zpsde5709ae.jpg

JeffVillage9_zps1092d3b4.jpg

Creamery3_zpsc89a3f7b.jpg

Comstock1_zps5775d272.jpg

BlackFalls_zps974f7f78.jpg

Hutchins3_zps142e9753.jpg

Morgan1_zpsdbe37cce.jpg

LumberMill3_zps24889471.jpg

Kissing2_zps4da65f70.jpg

Motgomery3_zps0775d672.jpg

/ Covered bridges #3  
Beautiful! We have family up that way and want to retire there. Unfortunately, as a teacher, my wife can never get off from school to go up during fall.

/ Covered bridges #4  
Those are great! You live in some very pretty country. Why were covered bridges popular when they were built? Was it to keep snow off for winter travel?

MarkV

/ Covered bridges #5  
Beautiful photos -- thanks for posting.

What type of lumber of lumber is used for the siding in order to hold up to the weather?

Steve

/ Covered bridges #6  
Thanks for sharing. What's up with the green metal roofs? Some sort of state regulation?

/ Covered bridges
The idea behind covering the bridge was to protect the timber framing from the weather. I'm not sure what type of wood they use but I would guess white oak and hemlock. I'm guessing that green steel is just a Vermont thing. Kind of goes with the state motto "Green Mountain state".

/ Covered bridges #8  
The timber frame is usually white spruce and the side boards are pine or cedar. The roofs were originally cedar shingles but they need to be replaced every twenty years or so. The standing seam metal (any color you want but green is the favorite) roofing is the state of the art in VT and will last fifty years or better, and is lighter then the shingles were.

/ Covered bridges
So I did a little research and found a report on the bridge in the 6th picture from the top. The bridge was a combination of Hemlock (deck and cord), Spruce (lattice), and Rock Maple (pegs).

/ Covered bridges #10  
Great set of pictures! I really enjoyed them - thanks for posting.