Coyote after our birds.

/ Coyote after our birds. #1  

BertZegers

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L2900, Zetor 8011, Kubota KX41Excavator, John Deere 4400 Combine, Case 1816C skidsteer
This morning I let our three guinea hens out of the chicken scoop and they went into the corn that is breast high. Just a minute later two came running out screaming, into the yard and one flew up out of the corn and into a tree. A few moments later I saw a coyote coming out of the corn. We have lost a lot of chickens and guinea hens last year and I always thought it was a fox who was after them. We sometimes see the fox crossing the fields, but I have never seen the coyote before.
What puzzles me is that we never hear coyotes howling or yipping. We live on the edge of a ravine/large wooded area.

/ Coyote after our birds. #2  
It’s hard to howl with a mouthful of feathers :)

This one might be passing through or new to the area.

/ Coyote after our birds. #3  
We have coyotes, wolves, B bears and mountain lions here, so why don't we ever see or hear them? They are wily and avoid us, but we do see there tracks. Seems it might take a vibrant population of coyotes before you'd hear them yipping at night. When I'm at the folks place in central SD, we hear them all the time but not here, yet we both have coyotes.

/ Coyote after our birds. #4  
Leave an "ACME" catalogue out by your cornfield... within a week the situation will have corrected itself.

(I've seen several short documentaries on this subject. :thumbsup:)

/ Coyote after our birds. #5  
Unfortunately that company does not export here, I have only seen the products in the same documentaries, just as well we don't have coyotes otherwise we would be overrun.
Wonder if there is a market in the USA for our drop bear repellent?

/ Coyote after our birds. #6  
Leave an "ACME" catalogue out by your cornfield... within a week the situation will have corrected itself.

(I've seen several short documentaries on this subject. :thumbsup:)

Those were some very educational documentaries :thumbsup: Although last I heard they are banned now do to the nature of the violence :(:thumbdown:

/ Coyote after our birds. #7  
Those were some very educational documentaries Although last I heard they are banned now do to the nature of the violence :(
Watching my 5 year old laugh at Wiley and road runner is really fun. I cant believe they would do away with that!

/ Coyote after our birds. #8  
If you saw one coyote there will be more and BIGGER problem to deal with.
Not sure of your laws 22-250 one cure.

/ Coyote after our birds. #9  
I've got coyotes - many bands in my immediate area. Some nights they are very vocal - other nights completely quiet. They come into my yard but now there is nothing for them to bother. I'm all out of barn cats - desperately need more. Either the owls or coyotes got the last of them a couple years ago. And I no longer feed the dog outside.

Oh, come on - - they can't get rid of Wiley and road runner. My son and I shared his childhood with those two.

My neighbor - big cattle rancher - went on a coyote blitz two years ago. Had a fellow with a big rifle and bigger scope out and last I heard he had shot 37. As far as I can tell and my neighbor friend agrees - - it made no noticeable difference in the local population. There are alway replacements waiting in the wings to step in for fallen comrades.

There is a "hunting lodge" down the road. Owned and run by a local rancher. He raises pheasants to release and be hunted. His biggest problems - - hawks, owls, coyotes, skunks & weasels - in that order. His birds are kept in a complete enclosure - floor, walls & roof.

I'm somewhat surprised that you would loose guinea fowl to coyotes - chickens yes.

Perhaps the solution could be - round them up and bring them into a secure building every evening. Kind of a PITA but I'm sure the coyotes see your birds as an easy meal.

/ Coyote after our birds. #10  
I lost all my chickens to predators (no idea what kind) so I built a pen for them to go in at night. I put them in it as 6 week old chicks, transferring them from coop to the pen. I left them in the pen for a few weeks till they fully matured, then started turning them out early morning. Amazingly, they all come back to the pen every night. When I open the door at the house to go outside, they all come running, then follow me back to the pen where I throw in some corn and they all go inside without any issue.
So far I have not lost a single animal. The guineas along with the pea fowl roost up in a big elm tree right above the chicken pen and I haven't lost any of them to owls.