COYOTES

/ COYOTES #191  
There was a time when that wasn’t the case… it really was us or the predators. The scales have tipped though and many are seeing it the same as you do. I know that my viewpoints have changed. My father had a war on woodchucks all of his life and would kill every animal he could. As time went on though he got so he’d live trap and release tblhem for somebody else to deal with.

After he passed away 5 years ago I told my mother they weren’t hurting anything; she doesn’t have a garden, and the property will likely be sold and subdivided when she is done with it. It hasn’t taken long for the population to thrive.
I'm still of your fathers mindset prior to the live trapping.
Damned hole digging things.
And those that live trap and relocate I find it difficult to express my self in regards to them,
catch a problem and release it for someone else to deal with, not nice.

/ COYOTES #192  
I'm still of your fathers mindset prior to the live trapping.
Damned hole digging things.
And those that live trap and relocate I find it difficult to express my self in regards to them,
catch a problem and release it for someone else to deal with, not nice.
One reason he stopped shooting them is because the city limits moved and he was prohibited from shooting them. Nothing else was different, I believe that it was just a zoning change.
I did express myself on catch and release. I also tend to be rather outspoken when the topic comes up here. I am quite certain that's why I have woodchucks now. I never saw one for my first 15 years here but have killed several in the past 5 years.

/ COYOTES #193  
We have coyotes...hear them frequently at night, sometimes in close, but almost never see them during the day.

Now Woodchucks - I like 'em. Great moving target practice!

/ COYOTES #194  
We have coyotes...hear them frequently at night, sometimes in close, but almost never see them during the day.

Now Woodchucks - I like 'em. Great moving target practice!
The first time I had one on my property he was pretty docile. One afternoon I spied him when on my tractor and drove right up and put the bucket over him before he took off running. I dropped the bucket and started chasing him. I just wanted to see what would happen and had no intention of hurting him. Apparently he didn't like that because I never saw him again.
I actually have more problems with rabbits in my garden than woodchucks, as I keep the latter thinned out. To be accurate they actually are varying hares.

/ COYOTES #195  
I remember when I was with my grandfather when he dug up a Fox den that wasn't far from the chicken yard. He dispatched all of the pups with a shovel. My dad later came across a den of foxes and we wound up putting the pups in a kennel and they were quite tame. In fact a friend in the city took one as a pet and later said that it was nice but couldn't housebreak it.
I still shoot opossums around my horses since they spread a disease to horses.

/ COYOTES #196  
I remember when I was with my grandfather when he dug up a Fox den that wasn't far from the chicken yard. He dispatched all of the pups with a shovel. My dad later came across a den of foxes and we wound up putting the pups in a kennel and they were quite tame. In fact a friend in the city took one as a pet and later said that it was nice but couldn't housebreak it.
I still shoot opossums around my horses since they spread a disease to horses.
I didn't know that, what's the disease?

/ COYOTES #197  
   / COYOTES
Well - poo. Over a month and still no airplane - no shooter. I have later found out that this "operation" has little to do with the government. The "operation" has the approval of the government. It's a local crop sprayer and a friend as the shooter. Flying in the temps we have had lately - in an open cockpit aircraft - would not be my idea of fun. Maybe it will happen in warmer weather.

AND - I've always found that my 30-30 is plenty fast enough for varmints around here. It's not so much the gun as the abilities of the person using the gun.