Backhoe Cracked Transmission case between bolts attaching backhoe

/ Cracked Transmission case between bolts attaching backhoe #91  
Actually, Eric brings up a good point....are you sure the fractures in question aren’t caused by bolts that are too long for the application and bottoming in the holes? That situation would potentially lead to joint failure.

I have seen it in other highly loaded joints.

Remember, the backhoe is installed at the dealership, not the factory.

ffs, you guys are posting without reading the original description providing the whole situation and analysis found linked in post #23.

/ Cracked Transmission case between bolts attaching backhoe #92  
Linked posts aren’t very effective, but yes, bolts that are too short, giving inadequate thread engagement will destroy the casting. The installer should catch this, though, if he has any mechanical aptitude at all.

Bolts that are too long have a similar end result, as there is potentially no clamp load or bolt stretch. Bolt stretch and spring rate is what holds the parts together.

ffs, you guys are posting without reading the original description providing the whole situation and analysis found linked in post #23.

/ Cracked Transmission case between bolts attaching backhoe #93  
I know this post is old. I've been looking around for anyone who's had a similar issue I just had. Not the same, but sheared of housing where the top link attached. Pushing snow with a box blade. Hit a frozen bank. N4510

Attachments

• IMG_20230224_132121660.jpg
    IMG_20230224_132121660.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 123
   / Cracked Transmission case between bolts attaching backhoe #94  
Dang that sucks..do you have warrenty still?

/ Cracked Transmission case between bolts attaching backhoe #95  
Dang that sucks..do you have warrenty still?
Nope. But I'm waiting on my insurance company. Not holding my breath. I don't really know what to expect for this kind of claim.

/ Cracked Transmission case between bolts attaching backhoe #96  
This worries me cause my brand new NS 5310 looks to be the same axle baack there..what year and model tractor is yours? Here's hoping the home owners insurance covers it otherwise what's the point of paying insurance on a tractor! Unless it just fire and theft..

/ Cracked Transmission case between bolts attaching backhoe #97  
This worries me cause my brand new NS 5310 looks to be the same axle baack there..what year and model tractor is yours? Here's hoping the home owners insurance covers it otherwise what's the point of paying insurance on a tractor! Unless it just fire and theft..

I don't think such a break is common.

@kbforester can you describe what happened with any more detail? That's one hell of a break, I've never seen one quite like it.

/ Cracked Transmission case between bolts attaching backhoe #98  
I know this post is old. I've been looking around for anyone who's had a similar issue I just had. Not the same, but sheared of housing where the top link attached. Pushing snow with a box blade. Hit a frozen bank. N4510

Ouch. You need a trip edge on that blade!

/ Cracked Transmission case between bolts attaching backhoe #100  
Is that available with a box blade?

No. Every proper snowblow has a provision for tripping because immovable stuff gets covered by snow and you cannot see it. Sort of like brush cutting a field with tall grass and the landowner assures you there is nothing in the field—except for that pile of cinder blocks, the old car parts, the old bottom hoe, and so on.