craftsman pro 26 hp v twin kohler garden tractor $2799

/ craftsman pro 26 hp v twin kohler garden tractor $2799 #1  

mechanic

Silver Member
I have been doing research on riding mowers and I have found the craftsman 26 hp and wanted some reviews on it. I also like to do my own repair but this has a warranty. It is for hilly terrain and pulling implements. It is cheaper than hustler but is it as dependable. I like the idea of being able to pull small a cart to haul dirt and rock. I was told it is a little tricky to do that with a zero turn. I still like the hustler but is it worth $4000. If you have this mower what are your thoughts. I wish I could look into a crystal ball and get some answers but you guys will have to be that crystall ball. I did see online a craftsman tractor that had a timing belt on the valves. That scares me sounds like you would have to have knowledge to work on that motor. I don't like high tech motors. Give me what you know. Thanks

/ craftsman pro 26 hp v twin kohler garden tractor $2799 #2  
Find out what trans is on it. If it is a k46 forget about it.

/ craftsman pro 26 hp v twin kohler garden tractor $2799
web site says foot pedal hydrostatic transmission

/ craftsman pro 26 hp v twin kohler garden tractor $2799 #4  
web site says foot pedal hydrostatic transmission
That doesn't tell you anything about the quality level of the transmission. Most tractor type mowers and even CUT tractors have foot pedal controls. I did have a JD 332 with a steering column control that took some getting used to but it had dual brake pedals that needed your right foot to control them.

/ craftsman pro 26 hp v twin kohler garden tractor $2799 #5  
You likely have to dig deep into specs to find out the type of hydrostatic drive motor that is has. I doubt that a salesman would even know but the OEM manual should tell you. At that price don't expect to have a 3200 or 3400 series hydrogear motor for it.

/ craftsman pro 26 hp v twin kohler garden tractor $2799 #6  
Go to partsdirect.com and put in the model number, and see if it will give you the model number of the transmission. Some of the sears parts diagrams will list the model number of the engine and the tranny.

/ craftsman pro 26 hp v twin kohler garden tractor $2799 #7  
I haven't found that any of the brands offer a good lawn tractor in that price range. While it isn't necessary to buy the top of the line premium models spending a little more can make a big difference in quality and overall performance. I would not be swayed by the higher horsepower numbers of these cheap mowers. I have had several of the cheap mowers and Craftsman included, could not keep spindles on it. Cheap Deere L130, the spindles have been fine but the K46 tranny only lasted for about 200 hours and began slowing down to the point of useless at 275 hours. The mistake I made in both cases was buying too cheap and neither one would hold up to use. I recommend you buy a better mower around $5000 that will last a long time.

/ craftsman pro 26 hp v twin kohler garden tractor $2799 #8  
I've had pretty good luck with my Craftsman mowers. I really liked my 42" ride-on, and used it for about a dozen years. It finally developed some quirks that I wasn't competent to remedy, so I sold it (to somebody who cleaned it up and is still using it) and bought a 54" Craftsman, hoping the wider deck would let me mow faster/with fewer passes. It does that, but I've found the wider deck has problems with uneven ground (which I have a lot of)...it is more likely to get hung up than the 42" deck was.
A bigger issue for me on my hilly, bumpy ground is traction. The standard turf tires, even when new, are marginal if there is any moisture around (dew, sometimes even grass juice!). When the tires get slightly worn, they slip very easily. I'd like to replace them with ATV tires someday.
I occasionally haul a small dump trailer with it, and it goes forward fine; backing up that configuration is a challenge, and takes finesse.
Bob

/ craftsman pro 26 hp v twin kohler garden tractor $2799 #9  
I almost bought a new Craftsman or Husqvarna riding mower with similar specs a few years back. My research led me to look at used Wheel Horse tractors, and i ended up with my 518xi. I'm the same way, i like doing work on stuff, so the used didn't scare me.

I suggest looking at those, and other much higher end garden tractors. Mine was originally 6 or 7 grand in 1998. The wheel horse i have is supposedly good for at least 1200 hours, probably a lot more. I got mine with 500hrs in real good shape for about 1600 with plow.

/ craftsman pro 26 hp v twin kohler garden tractor $2799 #10  
You can buy two mowers in 10 years at $2,700 or buy one at $5,000. Depends on what your long term plan is.