Craftsman PYT9000 deck belt breaking

/ Craftsman PYT9000 deck belt breaking #1  

jmwall67

Tractor
MF 135
Hi All,
I have a Craftsman PYT9000 with a 26hp B&S and a 50" cutting deck. I bought it used 5 or 6 years ago and have had trouble with the deck belt breaking (average once per year). Doesn't seem to be any problem with the pulleys or spindles, they all spin free and doesn't appear to have any bearing issues.

Belt seems to break when I'm mowing tall heavy grass/weeds. So I'm wondering if the engine hp vs the load of the tall grass is just too much for the belt causing it to break. Maybe I'm buy crappy belts??

So, if there is no obvious problem I should check on the deck, is there a good brand of belt I can buy, that might last longer? I usually buy the kevlar reinforced belts.

Thanks,
Jeff

Oh BTW, its the MTD version, not the Husqvarna version.

/ Craftsman PYT9000 deck belt breaking #2  
The best belt is either the actual OEM or an OEM equivalent. And the main reason is OEM belts are not stardard length, width, or cut angle. And MTD and JD are the worse for not standard belt sizes. ie. Just because a belt conversion size 5/8 x 92 doesn't mean the OEM belt is that size. It would not be unusual for the OEM MTD belt to be 21/32 x 92-9/32

/ Craftsman PYT9000 deck belt breaking #3  
Can you show us a photo of your broken belt ?

/ Craftsman PYT9000 deck belt breaking #4  
So, if there is no obvious problem I should check on the deck, is there a good brand of belt I can buy, that might last longer? I usually buy the kevlar reinforced belts.

Had a 5' rear finish mower. Put a belt on it (NON branded). I did not even make ONE circle around the field and the belt broke.

I've bought Woods belts since, never had an issue. (though I don't care for the price difference)

/ Craftsman PYT9000 deck belt breaking #5  
+1 on the MTD belt. These seem to do better starting the deck at wide open throttle BTW. When you have deck belts snap, it is typically that it launched itself off a pulley and gets caught. So when you break a belt under load like that, the pulley on one of those blade spindles slowed down under the load. SO when you go and set up your guides, or add guides- think of the belt being pushed around the pulley complex rather than being pulled.

/ Craftsman PYT9000 deck belt breaking
Can you show us a photo of your broken belt ?

Here is a photo of the belt. Hope it is useful and tells you something.

Thanks,
Jeff

Broken_Belt.jpg

/ Craftsman PYT9000 deck belt breaking
+1 on the MTD belt. These seem to do better starting the deck at wide open throttle BTW. When you have deck belts snap, it is typically that it launched itself off a pulley and gets caught. So when you break a belt under load like that, the pulley on one of those blade spindles slowed down under the load. SO when you go and set up your guides, or add guides- think of the belt being pushed around the pulley complex rather than being pulled.

Thanks for the info. In researching belt options on MTD's website, this is one of the longest deck belts at 163". It's also expensive at $80.

I might try and find a 5/8" belt someplace. Or for the price, I might buy 3 off-brand belts for $25-$30 and just change them when they break :)

Thanks,
Jeff

/ Craftsman PYT9000 deck belt breaking #8  
What is the part number on your machine tag?

/ Craftsman PYT9000 deck belt breaking #9  
I've had that happen on an old craftsman 42" deck. A couple things I found to watch for YMMV ... TSC Blue belts seemed to hold up better than the cheaper ones found @ Home Depot. Also, check the spindles closely, I've had the mounting ears crack & you couldn't tell until a load caused the spindle to tilt which threw the belt & shredded it. Check the idler pully for parallel as they age, they can get out of line with the other pulleys & throw belts. Finally, check the spring tension on your idler. My spring was worn/weak over time, so slippage at start & under load would heat up the belt & then it would get worse & worse, then throw or shred.