Craftsman tools warranty and workmanship today

/ Craftsman tools warranty and workmanship today #1  

Bedlam

Veteran Member
I was curious if in my later years if I am getting stronger and break the ratchets more frequent?
In 1975 my dad passed down to me a 3/8 ratchet form sears with eh lifetime warranty.I would use pipes on its and even two people would pull on it.And no troubles.
But the last 7 years or so i have replaced the 3/8 at least four times and the small 1/4 5 times. (and not using pipes on the smaller one).
Last time I went in they wouldn't exchange it for one on the shelf they would only 'give' me one form a drawer, with no packaging. I assume these were rebuilt. Well right off they were bad. slipped and bound up I soak them in oil to try to loosen but no luck.

So. my thought is this.
in the older years they built them far better knowing they didn't want to get them back.
And as years went y they slowly cut corners, and yes they might get allot more back, but they could live with that. And I'm sure allot of them just got discarded.

My best one has been a non warrantied K Mart one bought in the mid 80's.

I was wondering how others have found the exchanges to be?

Thanks .
A

/ Craftsman tools warranty and workmanship today #2  
Never had a problem with exchanges, but I've not had to return ratchets. Mine are from around 1984 or so, I bought then when in highschool.

I use breaker bar for all tough nuts, I've not broken a craftsman breaker bar and I've put 6 foot pipe on the end of my 18 incher on multiple occasions.

I'm a real Craftsman fan. But I've not owned snap on or other such brands. I understand they are excellent quality.

Go to another store so you can get first run as a trade.

I've never been questioned on any return and you should never be questioned, if the replacement they gave you fails to satisfy you for any reason, return that one imediately.

Joel

/ Craftsman tools warranty and workmanship today #3  
I have exchanged a lot of Craftsman tools without a problem. When ever I have broken one it has been from abuse. They have even exchanged screwdrivers that you could tell I had been using to pry with. I have had problems with a couple of rachets not switching direction but they have replaced them no questions asked. You should try a different store or ask to talk to the manager.

/ Craftsman tools warranty and workmanship today #4  
I have at least 5 or 6 of the 3/8in drive rachets that I have to exchange and 2 of the 1/4in that all have been bought and given to me for gifts within the past few years. They will switch from right to left rotation but the gears get stripped and it slips constantly. havent had a problem with 1/2in or larger versions and I have used them with pipes and bars.

I will tell you that the older ones have definately held up much longer and better than the new ones. I have a bunch of older craftsman tools that my grandfather has passed onto me and they still work just fine.

I have never had a problem exchanging craftsman tools and they always gave me new ones in the original packaging.

/ Craftsman tools warranty and workmanship today #5  
Craftsman tools have been good for me wrench/screwdriver wise...I do have a 3/8 ratchet that "strips" its gears though and was told that they (Sears) would give me a rebuild kit for it instead of replacing it...We'll see how that goes.

Don

/ Craftsman tools warranty and workmanship today #6  
My "maintenence required" light came on{oil change} yesterday and I knew my old Harbor Freight 1/2" drive air ratchet was done, so I go to Sears and grab a 3/8" drive to replace it(don't really need the 1/2" drive). I checked the box out, and sure enough, Made in China :confused::confused: I put it back and looked around for one made somewhere else(even India); nope all Sears air ratchets made in China. Well, Sears sells them; how bad can they be: As soon as I got it connected to the air supply, the trigger mechanism has a wicked air leak.I used it to remove and reinstall the da-- "belly pan", but it's going back today :mad: Oh, this is on my Tundra pickup, and I hate that pan :rolleyes:

/ Craftsman tools warranty and workmanship today #7  
My "maintenence required" light came on{oil change} yesterday and I knew my old Harbor Freight 1/2" drive air ratchet was done, so I go to Sears and grab a 3/8" drive to replace it(don't really need the 1/2" drive). I checked the box out, and sure enough, Made in China :confused::confused: I put it back and looked around for one made somewhere else(even India); nope all Sears air ratchets made in China. Well, Sears sells them; how bad can they be: As soon as I got it connected to the air supply, the trigger mechanism has a wicked air leak.I used it to remove and reinstall the da-- "belly pan", but it's going back today :mad: Oh, this is on my Tundra pickup, and I hate that pan :rolleyes:

I'm with you Patches...I'll put things back on the shelf as well if it says china on it...Not trying to open up a can of worms here about how china "products" are the only things available, only sharing my look at it...Whenever possible, I'll buy USA...Sadly that's few and far between anymore.

Don

/ Craftsman tools warranty and workmanship today #8  
Old craftsman = good

Current craftsman --- replace the fts with a p.

jb

/ Craftsman tools warranty and workmanship today #9  
Old craftsman = good

Current craftsman --- replace the fts with a p.

jb

I feel the same way about Sears in general. It used to be my first place to shop - not any more. I only go there as a last resort. Lately it has been to look at major appliances to check their features then order over the internet.

We have had good results shopping over the internet for major appliances. Shipped to the door with free shipping sometimes, no sales tax and warranty service locally has not been a problem.

Vernon

/ Craftsman tools warranty and workmanship today #10  
I feel the same way about Sears in general. It used to be my first place to shop - not any more. I only go there as a last resort. Lately it has been to look at major appliances to check their features then order over the internet.

We have had good results shopping over the internet for major appliances. Shipped to the door with free shipping sometimes, no sales tax and warranty service locally has not been a problem.

Vernon

Why no sales tax---Doesn't Sears have nexus there????