crazy idea

/ crazy idea #1  

Mickey_Fx

Veteran Member
Tractor
Yanmar Fx24D, Cub 3204
As of late I've been thinking of the possibility of increasing the wheelbase on my tractor. The WB on the F series to a little too short for my liking. The frame extends fwd enough to permit a movement of about 1 ft without the need for any extension. From a quick look moving the front axle fwd doesn't look all that difficult and I'm thinking the biggest issue would be to extend the drive shaft and shaft-tube. Of course steering linkage would need to be addressed. At the slow speed these things run, I don't see any issues with the need to re-balance the shaft. For sure it would have to be jigged during the lengthening process to make sure the shaft stays straight.

Reason for the thought is steering is a little too quick and extending the WB would help reduce weight transfer with loads on the FEL. A ft extension would reduce weight transfer 33%.

Ever hear of anyone doing this and if so, what kinds of problems did they run into?

/ crazy idea #2  
I don't know anyone that has done this with a tractor. You might just be the 1 st. best of luck

/ crazy idea #3  
Saw one on the web once that they increased the wb, but it was a 2wd. Think they did it to put a deck under it?

/ crazy idea #4  
Mickey,

Someone on here did it. I believe it was a YM1110D and he moved front axle assembly about a foot forward. (Think it was the same gent who got my rear hubs off my spare 1300D).

He moved the pivot + axle mounts and lengthend the drive shaft and pitman arm. It may have been for the same reason.

/ crazy idea #5  
I remember the pictures of the one Mark is talking about. It was a smaller YM series tractor. It was a pretty straight forward job, with no real complications that i recall. I say do it !

/ crazy idea #8  
Here is a link to the 1100. YM1110D

/ crazy idea #9  
I have to admit I'd like to find one of these smaller machines so I could make it into a "super" garden tractor. I have a larger machine and it seems a little big for some things.

/ crazy idea #10  
Ductape said:
Thats the one !

Wow! You guys have an excellent memory :).

OK Mickey, it's time for you to pioneer an F model extention. Love to see pictures, progress and test drive opinions.

Mark