Creating a home for my Hot Tub

/ Creating a home for my Hot Tub #41  
Eddie,
Your project is going great.
I especially enjoy the pictures of your kids "working" out there with you. LOL ... Looks like they are working more than you.:) I think it's just great to see them involved like that.
Keep em coming.

BTW, regarding the small concrete mixer, my projects will be small ones. I was trying to find other ways besides hand mixing. But I think I will need to do it on site as it's over an hour's drive from town to my place. Your information is very helpful to me.
Thanks,

/ Creating a home for my Hot Tub #42  
Things are looking good Eddie. I love the look of the Cedar logs. I wish we had cedar logs that size on our property but all we have is oak and pine.

David

/ Creating a home for my Hot Tub #43  
EddieWalker said:
My helper and I got some work done on the hot tub gazebo yesterday.

Eddie, I'm not trying to be a smart *****, but Peyton needs some proper footware if he is going to be around a construction site. Flip flops aint it.

Bob

/ Creating a home for my Hot Tub
I had allot of ambition to get started bright and early this morning. Steph and I even went to Lowes last night to buy the lumber so it would be here ready to go.

But like most things, I got distracted and couldn't start until 4pm. I still managed to get a few rafters up, but not nearly what I'd hoped to get done.

One of the key features of the roof is the opening in the middle that will form a cupola. My rafters are 2x6's, but I'm going to raise there height half way up, so I used 2x10s for the cupola so it will fit together.

It's kind of like a keyway that ties the main rafters together. Since it's so crucial to the strength of my roof, I doubled up the 2x10s just to be sure.

I sort of guessed the height it would be at and attached the ten foot 2x6's to get it close to where it will end up. I was off by two inches. Once I had the height correct, the rafters lined up real nice.

I toe nailed them in to hold it all in place, then triple screwed each end in with 3 inch screws.

Eddie

Attachments

• Nailing 2x10s to create keyway.jpg
    Nailing 2x10s to create keyway.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 325
  • Laying out the lumber for measureing..jpg
    Laying out the lumber for measureing..jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 302
  • Tracing each cut to a new board.jpg
    Tracing each cut to a new board.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 307
  • Me, putting up the first rafter..jpg
    Me, putting up the first rafter..jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 315
  • Second Rafter.jpg
    Second Rafter.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 289
  • Last of the main rafters..jpg
    Last of the main rafters..jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 359
   / Creating a home for my Hot Tub #45  
Looking good Eddie. Enjoy your updates, EL.

/ Creating a home for my Hot Tub #46  
Hey Eddie!

Great job! by the way, I think we're both going to the same barber....:))

anthony

/ Creating a home for my Hot Tub #47  
You know I've been watching your project progress, and admiring your choice in materials, but I'm a little bit stumped.
I know this may sound stupid, and maybe it's just because I can't see "in person", but how the heck are you gonna get the tub in there now??

anthony

/ Creating a home for my Hot Tub
Got a little more done today. I keep getting distracted on other things, but after awhile, I did manage to do a few things.

I put in the rest of the rafters, then created a beam out of 2x6's to tie the corners together and give me a place to hang the ceiling fan. I'm not sure what it's like to have a ceiling fan over a hot tub, but we'll find out when it's all said and done.

Then I started decking it. The lenght of the rafters are 6 ft exactly. That wasn't planned, but at least it's an easy number to work with. The roof will have two levels. Each will be three feet wide.

The front half wall next to the doorway is removable. Right now, it's just in there by gravity and friction. Nothing is holding it in place. The opening is a foot wider then my hot tub, so I'm hoping I can get it in through there and position it with what I've left myself to work with.

Eddie

Attachments

• Rafters all in place.jpg
    Rafters all in place.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 302
  • Beam to hold rafters together and to hang ceiling fan.jpg
    Beam to hold rafters together and to hang ceiling fan.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 325
  • Me on the roof.jpg
    Me on the roof.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 367
   / Creating a home for my Hot Tub #49  
Eddie. I wonder from looking at your pictures. How many birds are thinking he's building us one he** of a feeder:D

/ Creating a home for my Hot Tub #50  
Eddie. You've probably answered this somewhere, but how do you find time for all these projects? Do you work full time?