Creek Crossing with Soft Banks

/ Creek Crossing with Soft Banks #1  

JohnnyMX

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5200
I have a section of my property that runs along the road that I'm cut off by a creek. There are power lines and such so I'd like to clean it up before I get everything growing up into them. I could access from the road, but the angle down to the property is pretty steep and would probably need fill to correct. The previous owner crossed the creek and had it lined with rock which is VERY solid, but the banks are not for my tractor size. The utility companies came through and cut a path and crossed with a tracked skid steer with no issues.

What are the best options to just sure up 5-6' on both sides like a ramp so I don't sink in? A culvert isn't going to happen here as the prior owner fought for years with the town and the answer was NO you may not build any bridge here.

/ Creek Crossing with Soft Banks #2  
We just put broken up pieces of concrete slabs down. They dont have to line up perfect. They’ll mash down into the soft soil and smooth out over time. Be sure the slabs don’t have wire or rebar in them.

/ Creek Crossing with Soft Banks #3  
Small diameter logs laid out perpendicular and mashed in would also work just fine.

/ Creek Crossing with Soft Banks #4  
I have a section of my property that runs along the road that I'm cut off by a creek. There are power lines and such so I'd like to clean it up before I get everything growing up into them. I could access from the road, but the angle down to the property is pretty steep and would probably need fill to correct. The previous owner crossed the creek and had it lined with rock which is VERY solid, but the banks are not for my tractor size. The utility companies came through and cut a path and crossed with a tracked skid steer with no issues.

What are the best options to just sure up 5-6' on both sides like a ramp so I don't sink in? A culvert isn't going to happen here as the prior owner fought for years with the town and the answer was NO you may not build any bridge here.
If DEC recognizes that stream and requests for culverts/bridges have been denied in the past you need to tread very, very lightly. You could end up with HEAVY fines by disturbing a streambed.

/ Creek Crossing with Soft Banks #7  
Is the creek bottom the problem or getting down to it the problem? I get the idea the banks are to steep? If thats the case just cut them down and make a ramp.

/ Creek Crossing with Soft Banks #8  
We need photos.

:)

Bruce

/ Creek Crossing with Soft Banks #9  
I am not sure about the laws in your regions but where I am from if its a private propriety and if the creek is too small to support any vessel (boat, canoe or kayak) you should be able to built a bridge without issue. If it can support a vessel you should be able to obtain a permit for it. It could be worth investigated this matter with the ministry of natural resources.. I just built a bridge on my property and I've use a scrap B train transport trailer it work like a charm and was dirt cheep.

/ Creek Crossing with Soft Banks
The stream/creek is about 3 feet max across and a just deep enough to keep the edges soft. The slope isn't all that great down into the rock lined areas, but I sink really quick I found out. The issue the town had was that the prior owner wanted to put in a real bridge and build homes on the 20 acres so he was asking to build a culvert bridge to the same spec as the towns. They said it was an easement and would allow no bridge of any design even though there are two of theirs within 100 yards of each other. I'll attach an image. This is the issue is that the jungle area I can't get to is going to be all up in the power lines if I do nothing.

Attachments

• bridge image.png
    bridge image.png
    57.9 KB · Views: 98