Cross Valve 3rd spool

/ Cross Valve 3rd spool #1  

mlauk

Gold Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 2135
I have a question about the Cross valve that came on my JD 4020. According to the Cross specification sheet, a float position is available on the first spool only on 2 and 3 spool valves, but the third spool looks like it has a float position. I was wondering what else the 3rd spool might be. I've used the float position on the first spool and it works as it should, but I've never hooked up the 3rd spool.

The other problem I've had is the valve works with a single acting cylinder, but when I hook up a double acting cylinder, the cylinder doesn't move. I'm suspecting the hydraulic couplers, but I need to troubleshoot that a little more. Any input would be appreciated.

000_0250.jpg
[/IMG]

000_0249.jpg
[/IMG]

/ Cross Valve 3rd spool #2  
Any model number?

That does look like a float detent on 1 and 3...does the handle stay forward like it's in float on 3 like it does 1?

You could have a SA spool-that's why it won't power the DA cylinder...not uncommon since a lot of agricultural equipment uses SA cylinders.

/ Cross Valve 3rd spool
I did not see a model number, unless it is on the bottom.

The float does stay forward on 3 like it does on 1. I was wondering if it could be regen on 3 since it is an option.

I just assumed since it has 2 work ports that it was a DA spool, but I guess all the casting bodies are the same with different spools. It feels like a 3 position spring center to neutral with a detent in the float position. I need to check into it further, thanks for the input.

/ Cross Valve 3rd spool #4  
The regen feature/function would be the spool and porting in the valve-not the endcap.

Just because it is a SA valve it can still have two ports, it's the spool that is different.

I would try 2 and 3 and see if they work your DA cylinder, it could be just #1 that's SA.

What "spec sheet" did you look at if you don't know the model number?

/ Cross Valve 3rd spool
I wasn't sure about the regen feature, other than on the spec sheet saying it is an option, it says the spool travel is 5/16" each way from neutral and (15/32" for float, 13/32" for regen), so I thought the endcap would be for holding the regen in place. But after looking into it further, the regen does not have a detent.

After reading your first reply, I realized that it could be a SA spool and that has helped answer my question, I just need to look into it further and determine what the 3 different spools are. I have tried #2 spool and it only worked on a SA cylinder.

I found a Cross specification sheet for the older B series on the internet and saved the .pdf. I have not been able to find it again, but if you would like a copy, I could email it to you. It is 12 pages long.

I had my blinders on thinking it was DA spools, so thanks for the input, it has really helped me out.

/ Cross Valve 3rd spool #6  
I don't think you would want detent on regen anyway. Regen is only used in a regen valve to increase the speed of the cylinder. I believe regen puts about 1/4 of the force to the cylinder in this mode. There are also several types of regen operation.