/ Crusader Snow Thrower Questions #1  

Richard001

Veteran Member
Tractor
Jd lx178
Hello,
I have an old Crusader Snow Thrower, Model # 311-224-096

I think it is actually made by MTD

I am trying to figure out what engine this is. I need to replace the carb. The low speed jet circuit does not work. I have tried cleaning this several times. I think that there is a part that is rusted inside the carb that is in a sealed space. I have the carb off now, but I have not cleaned it up yet to see if there is any info on the carb itself that might give me a clue.
Here are some photos of the thrower and some close ups of the engine. If you have any information on this engine, it would be of great help.

Richard

Attachments

• Crusader Snow Thrower Engine Left side 9-11-2023.JPG
    Crusader Snow Thrower Engine Left side 9-11-2023.JPG
    205 KB · Views: 69
  • Crusader Snow Thrower Engine Back side 9-11-2023.JPG
    Crusader Snow Thrower Engine Back side 9-11-2023.JPG
    209.5 KB · Views: 67
  • Crusader Snow Thrower Engine Right side 9-11-2023.JPG
    Crusader Snow Thrower Engine Right side 9-11-2023.JPG
    206.4 KB · Views: 63
  • Crusader Snow Thrower Left view 9-11-2023.JPG
    Crusader Snow Thrower Left view 9-11-2023.JPG
    269.3 KB · Views: 61
   / Crusader Snow Thrower Questions
Well I have found out a little more information on this thrower. It appears that the engine is a Tecumseh 3.5 HP horizontal shaft. Tecumseh Models H50 H60 HH60 50-646. After examining the carb I found this:
Carburetor: It has the numbers 110 1H2 stamped into the carb body just above he float bowl, the float bowl has this name on it: Lauson - Power Products Grafton, Wis

So after some internet search, I have found some new carbs in the price range of $12 to $200. I still not sure what the engine model is. So if any of you guys and gals, have any information, that would be great.

Richard

Well I want to thank all you guys for the help with this. OH Wait, no one helped.

Thanks a lot.

/ Crusader Snow Thrower Questions #4  
well gee, sure sorry about that. Sometimes these older machines are tough to find parts for. been to Plymouth many times.

/ Crusader Snow Thrower Questions #6  
Tecumseh is out of business and the Lawson products I believe was a division of Tecumseh. Does that carb have an adjusting screw in the middle of the bolt that holds the float bowl on the carb? If yes are there threads a gap and more threads on that bolt? If yes there is a small hole drilled at an angle in that space with no threads. It can be hard to see and might be right at edge of the threads. This is the idle passage and is a common problem on these carbs. I frequently use a piece of stranded copper electric wire to gently poke the hole open.

Well I did purchase a new carb on-line. The carb is as close to the original as I could find. However there where some modifications that I had to make to make the carb work in this application.

I had to add a new plate on top of the throttle plate as the new one did not have the location of the throttle/governor attachment hole.

New Carb with Modified throttle plate 10-2023.JPG

Also in this photo, you can see the primer port I installed. I have this connected with a hose to a bulb with a hole in the middle of the bulb. When you put your finger over the hole and press the bulb, it forces gas up into the throttle body.

Here is a photo of the original carb throttle plate
Crusader Snow Thrower carb top view 9-11-2023.JPG

/ Crusader Snow Thrower Questions #8  
IMG_0015.JPG
IMG_0013.JPG

I love throwing snow, as far as I possibly can, so I've decided to modify and upgrade my Crusader snowblower with this 11hp Sovereign commercial pressure washer engine. Just have to finish bolting it down and putting on the belt

OK I had no idea that they made a two stage thrower. You may want to balance the blower if you plan on running it at a high speed.

I did put a new carb on my Crusader and it seems to be working. I with this mild winter, I haven't had to use it. I do start it up and run it every once in a while and it seams to run well.

Richard