Cub 122 - stalls and won't start

/ Cub 122 - stalls and won't start #1  

Anonymous Poster

Cub 122 - stalls and won\'t start

Hello all, I have been "lurking" here long enough, it's time to post a question! Our farm has a Cub 122 that we have been using for mowing for years, until recently. After running for a couple of hours, it stalls and won't restart. Turn the key and nothing. Not even a solenoid. I got angry, went home and had a beer. Next morning I walked back out to the field and it started right up. A few hours later...stalled - and then started a day later. Could this be temp related? Any suggestions would be appreciated. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Cub 122 - stalls and won't start #2  
Re: Cub 122 - stalls and won\'t start

With out testing I would guess the + wire to your key switch is loose somewhere between the battery and the key switch. It could be through a safety interlock like your PTO.
The key switch sends 12 volts to the coil in the on position which gives you the spark. When you turn the key to start it also goes to the solenoid.
When it stalls test for 12 volts at the + terminal on the coil with the key on. Also test to see you have 12 volts at the key switch. If you DO then the key switch could be defective.
Try this and post back if you need more help.
/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I think you will find a connection that virbrates loose which makes you stall.

/ Cub 122 - stalls and won't start #3  

Sorry for the delay. I couldn't log back on, so I had to change my name and password... I did what you suggested and it led me to a safety switch in the clutch pedal. The switch was intended to prevent the engine from starting until the clutch in engaged, but I never even knew it was there. The tractors previous owner installed a jumper wire in the connector with electrical tape. Well, the wire served well for at least 10 years...then worked it's way out. Me, being the shadetree mechanic I am, repaired it not by re-connecting the switch (that would be the right thing to do)...instead I bypassed it again, using a buttsplice this time! Here's to another 10 years! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Cub 122 - stalls and won't start #4  

Glad I could help and that you found the problem. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif