Cub 1250 headlight wiring? What to where?

/ Cub 1250 headlight wiring? What to where? #1  

Fuddy1952

Elite Member
Tractor
1973 Economy and 2018 John Deere 3038E
I just bought a 70s Cub Cadet 1250 that didn't have headlights so today I got a used set I ordered. I want to run wires like factory. I assume switch I need is a push-pull SPST and goes in hole I'm pointing to below fuse holder. Used bulbs are good, both GE made in USA (original?). Wire was disconnected but bulbs in parallel as shown, but the big ring terminal...is that grounded & if so where?
Other wire looks cut & stripped. Did that originally have a connector and go to switch?
Where does other switch terminal get power & connected where? Finally, how are wires run?
Thanks so much. If your Cub has lights a few pictures would answer everything.
20210619_160908.jpg
20210619_161028.jpg
20210619_162534.jpg

/ Cub 1250 headlight wiring? What to where? #2  
That Cub Cadet 1250 looks like its been restored. I purchased a 1450 back in 1978 and thought it was one of the nicest tractors I have owned. I plan on finding one soon and tweaking it with some of the newer features by changing out the front axle and adding power steering. Good luck with your headlight issue.

/ Cub 1250 headlight wiring? What to where? #3  
Here's a pic of my 1811 - it's a 1989 model so 4-5 years newer but has same GE lights and you see a white wire and the green (ground). My lights are ran from the ignition switch and are part of the harness that plugs into the back of the switch. The blue wire on the right is the feed from the switch and the white wire connects the left bulb.

The first run position on the switch turns the lights on the second run position they are off. For your case I would just take one side of the lights to ground and run a 12V wire to the switch for the hot.

headlights.jpg

Last edited:
   / Cub 1250 headlight wiring? What to where? #4  
May y'all might want to check out this site???
START ON PAGE 24 HEADLIGHTS

willy

/ Cub 1250 headlight wiring? What to where? #5  
I just bought a 70s Cub Cadet 1250 that didn't have headlights so today I got a used set I ordered. I want to run wires like factory. I assume switch I need is a push-pull SPST and goes in hole I'm pointing to below fuse holder. Used bulbs are good, both GE made in USA (original?). Wire was disconnected but bulbs in parallel as shown, but the big ring terminal...is that grounded & if so where?
Other wire looks cut & stripped. Did that originally have a connector and go to switch?
Where does other switch terminal get power & connected where? Finally, how are wires run?
Thanks so much. If your Cub has lights a few pictures would answer everything. View attachment 703067View attachment 703068View attachment 703069

I doubt the switch was intended to go in the flat bottom hole you are point to, but the hole to the right that has a plug in it. Newer switches mounting is smaller diameter than the older switches generally.
As for where to ground, a cleaned spot on the frame if possible, if not any bolt on that provides a ground bear the headlights. Use a multimeter to ID.
My suggestion for power to the switch for the lights would be an ignition powered source (ACC on the ignition switch would be 1 possibility). I would also suggest an inline fuse in an accessible location on the power side to the lights.