Cub Cadet RZT-42 left hand hydro stops working after warm up

/ Cub Cadet RZT-42 left hand hydro stops working after warm up #1  

jwrusk

Hello all! I bought a used cub cadet zero turn RZT-42 (2006 model) and after about 45 minutes of mowing the left hand drive does not want to keep up with the right hand. I let it sit and cool and it works just fine until it warms up again and problem repeats itself. I was told to come to this site for help. Thanks in advance..

Jim

/ Cub Cadet RZT-42 left hand hydro stops working after warm up #2  
Hoping that Old Machinist won't mind, try this link for a serv manual on that rig - might help. :rzt_service.pdf

/ Cub Cadet RZT-42 left hand hydro stops working after warm up
Thank you.

Jim

/ Cub Cadet RZT-42 left hand hydro stops working after warm up
Can you tell me if there is a procedure for changing the transmission fluid? Looks like the units are sealed. I was directed to the toro site for a service manual for the RZT-42 hydrostatic transmission but it won't take the cub cadet number I have.

/ Cub Cadet RZT-42 left hand hydro stops working after warm up #5  
The transmissions are sealed and require you to remove them from the machine to turn them upside down to drain the fluid. Before doing that make sure the bypass valve lever isn't out of position because of acumulated clippings. Acumulated clippings caked on and around will also make the transmissions overheat and cause them to stop working. If cleaning doesn't help here's the HydroGear EZT service manual that outlines the fluid change and purging procedures. HydroGearEZT_service_manual.pdf Use a high quality 20w50 engine oil if you change it.

/ Cub Cadet RZT-42 left hand hydro stops working after warm up #6  
I had my Z-Force 50 in the shed for some maintenence today and I wanted to show how much junk accumulates around the hydrostatic transmissions on these mowers. All this is from just this spring as I cleaned it before storing for the winter. This stuff accumulates on top of the transmissions and the metal shelf they are mounted to. If you let this build up they will overheat quickly.
DSCF0757.jpg

/ Cub Cadet RZT-42 left hand hydro stops working after warm up #7  
Same problem here on an RZT-50 with 200 hours (3 years).

Dealer diagnosed both transmissions needed replacing. He claimed that changing the fluid didn't help and that the transmission was not servicable or rebuildable. He said that the failure was "common". Manufacturer was unwilling to help.

Estimate was almost $2K, so I scrapped the mower (& will never buy a cub cadet again). A shame, as the engine was great and I liked the mower. It seems that cub had a design problem with these transmissions. Fortunately for them it shows up after the warranty period.:mad:

/ Cub Cadet RZT-42 left hand hydro stops working after warm up #8  
marg, you've made five posts all saying the same thing. You could have just started a new thread and stated your case. Digging up old posts (like the one from 2008) just to say the same things makes you sound like a disgruntled drive-by.

/ Cub Cadet RZT-42 left hand hydro stops working after warm up #9  
marg, you've made five posts all saying the same thing. You could have just started a new thread and stated your case. Digging up old posts (like the one from 2008) just to say the same things makes you sound like a disgruntled drive-by.

I kinda thought the same thing. Definately got his point across! I sure hope he has better luck with his new mower!! :thumbsup:

/ Cub Cadet RZT-42 left hand hydro stops working after warm up #10  
Hey why say it once when you can say it 5-6x? (kidding!). You do have to feel for the guy, although, ~200hrs in 3 years is beyond the scope of the RZT series in my opinion. I believe I read somewhere once where typical residential riding mowers are designed to last 250hrs. I've got a full 1.5acres to mow and only do ~30hrs/year. It would take me almost 7yrs to accumulate that kind of "mileage". Anything goes after 7yrs with a ~$3K machine IMO. Regardless, MAsZ, you should have the 4yr warranty on your RZT. You're set. Just keep in mind, the second you feel the SLIGHTEST difference in one of your hydros, you might want to consider an oil change on them which is very doable for someone with basic wrenching skills and access to this board.

Joel