Cub Cadet Steering Wheel Zero-Turn

/ Cub Cadet Steering Wheel Zero-Turn #61  
^^^^
Nothing wrong with lap bars, but for those of us with steep hillsides, nothing beats the added stability and control of a steering wheel.

Mike

/ Cub Cadet Steering Wheel Zero-Turn #62  
I have thought about doing that but never attempted it. On my father's lower end RZT Cub Cadet - the folks at Hydro-Gear actually recommended the transfer pump method for removing and then for refilling with 20w50 synthetic motor oil (Castrol). This is the option recommended versus actually removing each wheel pump to drain / refill the fluid and then reinstall which looks like an absolute nightmare.
All Hydro gear pumps have a plug at the top center inside of the body you can remove with an allen wrench that allows you to access the pump cavity for refilling (you fill it until fluid comes out the hole and replace the plug. Far as draining one with no filter, easiest way to drain it is remove the 2 hex screws that retain the pump housing on the front lower side of the motor and drain the fluid from that point. Just be sure to renew the 'O' ring and replace the cover exactly as it comes off (I mark the cover with a center punch so I can out it back on exactly the same way it comes off. If you put it on backwards (it will go one either way), it won't move as the pump isn't pushing any fluid. My wife's has no filters, mine does and I agree having the filters makes draining much easier but filling is through the plug up top.

I think Hydro Gear sells a refill kit with oil and a hose and fitting to go into the threaded port where the plug resides at. Not sure but I believe they do. Filters ain't cheap either. Just did mine a month ago and the filters were 15 bucks each at the CC dealer.

/ Cub Cadet Steering Wheel Zero-Turn #63  
I might add that there is a small, keyed impeller under the cover that has to be put back on when the cover is replaced. That is the main gearotor pump for the motor. I usually put a dab of grease on the impeller bore to retain it while I replace the cover. Don't loose the impeller, it won't work without it.

/ Cub Cadet Steering Wheel Zero-Turn #64  
All Hydro gear pumps have a plug at the top center inside of the body you can remove with an allen wrench that allows you to access the pump cavity for refilling (you fill it until fluid comes out the hole and replace the plug. Far as draining one with no filter, easiest way to drain it is remove the 2 hex screws that retain the pump housing on the front lower side of the motor and drain the fluid from that point. Just be sure to renew the 'O' ring and replace the cover exactly as it comes off (I mark the cover with a center punch so I can out it back on exactly the same way it comes off. If you put it on backwards (it will go one either way), it won't move as the pump isn't pushing any fluid. My wife's has no filters, mine does and I agree having the filters makes draining much easier but filling is through the plug up top.

I think Hydro Gear sells a refill kit with oil and a hose and fitting to go into the threaded port where the plug resides at. Not sure but I believe they do. Filters ain't cheap either. Just did mine a month ago and the filters were 15 bucks each at the CC dealer.
Comes with 5 quarts of 20w50 oil, two filters, the pump to pump it from the quart bottle, and the fitting to connect to the drive.

/ Cub Cadet Steering Wheel Zero-Turn #65  
I might add that there is a small, keyed impeller under the cover that has to be put back on when the cover is replaced. That is the main gearotor pump for the motor. I usually put a dab of grease on the impeller bore to retain it while I replace the cover. Don't loose the impeller, it won't work without it.
That gerotor pump is referred to as a charge pump. Pumps oil into the main drive pump under pressure to refill what is lost during normal operation. And if you get pump cover on 180 degrees from correct it reverses the oil flow.

/ Cub Cadet Steering Wheel Zero-Turn #66  
That gerotor pump is referred to as a charge pump. Pumps oil into the main drive pump under pressure to refill what is lost during normal operation. And if you get pump cover on 180 degrees from correct it reverses the oil flow.
I know that from experience. Why I prick punch the cover before I remove it. That way it goes back on just like it came off. Easiest way to drain a Hydro Gear transaxle (besides removing the filter) if the pump(s) have filters. My wfe's don't mine does. I believe HG offers or did offer a refill kit with oil and the adapter that fit in the hex keyed plug up top.

Never bought the kit, I just use a hose to refill the pump(s) until oil comes out the plug.

/ Cub Cadet Steering Wheel Zero-Turn #67  
Comes with 5 quarts of 20w50 oil, two filters, the pump to pump it from the quart bottle, and the fitting to connect to the drive.
Like I said, never used it but I thought HG offered the kit. Filters ain't cheap either. Small and expensive.

/ Cub Cadet Steering Wheel Zero-Turn #68  
Like I said, never used it but I thought HG offered the kit. Filters ain't cheap either. Small and expensive.
$14.72 for the filters. I haven't seen a HG unit that didn't have a filter, at least all the self contained units, not the separate pump and drive units. The older units that didn't have the charge pump also had a pancake type internal filter on the bottom of the center section. Some of the charge pump style systems had a plastic screw in type cartridge filter. And I use a paint pen to mark the covers for orientation.. But most of the time not a concern since most of the covers that I remove are getting new covers due to the charge pump leaking issue.

/ Cub Cadet Steering Wheel Zero-Turn #69  
I’ve completed my first two mowing sessions of the season. The mower is running and performing great. However, I’ve had a couple instances tearing turf on my zero turns. We’ve had a really wet spring thus far. So I’m not sure if it’s my driving or the condition of the soil. We’ll see…

Mike

/ Cub Cadet Steering Wheel Zero-Turn #70  
I find the too fast/too sharp a turn combo will tear it up here.

Have to remind myself to limit my "speeding" to the straight-aways.

Easy to get carried away when you're flying along ... ;)

Pro Z 154S