Cub Cadet Steering Wheel Zero-Turn

/ Cub Cadet Steering Wheel Zero-Turn #1  

Beltzington

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 3720
We (my wife:) is mowing about 4-acres of grass at three separate locations, one property has drainage ditches alongside the road with a couple steep slopes that will get your attention. I am on my third deck and have a few hundred hours on my trusty JD Garden tractor but looking to replace it with a zero-turn.

A few manufacturers offer a ZT with steering wheel instead of levers as a good solution for mowing slopes. I am looking hard at the Cub Cadet entry level (commercial 100 series) and was basically waiting until they went on sale this past winter but that did not happen. I just saw Exmark discontinued their steering wheel ZT mowers which doesn't inspire confidence it the concept.

Any experience or thoughts with these mowers? Also, I believe Toro and Cub Cadet are owned by the same company, are they selling different models or just rebranding>

/ Cub Cadet Steering Wheel Zero-Turn #3  
Beltingzon,

Check out this YouTube video ... " Zero Turn Mower Caster Wheel Locking Mechanism" and note two other things in the video not addressed. First is that he has changed the front caster wheel tires to a very aggressive tread, and that the grass in the video is very wet.

I don't mow my slopes when the grass is even slightly damp, but the video seems to show that with his mechanical adaptation that it is possible. Personally I don't have enough slope to make the change worth while, but it might be a solution for you and others.

Gene

/ Cub Cadet Steering Wheel Zero-Turn #4  
I've got a cub sz60 tank after trying numerous other mowers, and must say this thing is awesome on my severely sloped lawn. Lap bar machines with front casters just fall towards your downhill and are not good on significant slopes.
I also won't mow if there's moisture on the grass, moisture and slopes don't mix.

Love the Cub!

/ Cub Cadet Steering Wheel Zero-Turn #5  
Scoutcub. Can稚 figure out how to IM you. I have a cub cadet 7195 and I found a thread saying you might be able to sell me a front hitch and plow for it. My email is clifforddeancole@gmail.com if you can help me

/ Cub Cadet Steering Wheel Zero-Turn #6  
I have customers that are on steep enough sloops with the PRO-Z 100 series that I tell the to keep the oil on the top side of the line on the dipstick. The one cemetary that is using them used to just use trimmers on the is area or a rope attached to a push mower that they would let down the hill. The steering wheel also is less intimidating for some operators. I won't say they won't rut on turns but they rarely do vs the lap bars.

/ Cub Cadet Steering Wheel Zero-Turn #7  
Hey CDcole yes I do.....responded to your email.

/ Cub Cadet Steering Wheel Zero-Turn #8  
My neighbor bought one the same time I got my zd326 in 2010. He told me at the time I got screwed because mine cost twice as much. We are doing similar acreage.

3 years years ago he traded it in and bought a Deere commercial ZT mower. He told me the CC kept breaking down, needed lots of re-welding, and parts were expensive. To date his “cheaper machine” has cost him more than mine. Mine has cost me a set of blades every year, one serpentine belt and a set of scalp wheels.

For your acreage you wouldn’t be sorry buying a HD commercial ZT machine or a CUT. Cub Cadet is homeowner duty at best.

If you have a lot of slopes to deal with and don’t like excitement get a 4wd CUT. You have to drive along slopes ZTs are not good going straight up and down. I would NOT recommend a ZT for inexperienced/unskilled operators, especially on slopes and dewy grass.

Ps. Has anyone else here had troubles using an iPad for postings here? I keep getting weird garbled characters after posting.

/ Cub Cadet Steering Wheel Zero-Turn #9  
We (my wife:) is mowing about 4-acres of grass at three separate locations, one property has drainage ditches alongside the road with a couple steep slopes that will get your attention. I am on my third deck and have a few hundred hours on my trusty JD Garden tractor but looking to replace it with a zero-turn.

A few manufacturers offer a ZT with steering wheel instead of levers as a good solution for mowing slopes. I am looking hard at the Cub Cadet entry level (commercial 100 series) and was basically waiting until they went on sale this past winter but that did not happen. I just saw Exmark discontinued their steering wheel ZT mowers which doesn't inspire confidence it the concept.

Any experience or thoughts with these mowers? Also, I believe Toro and Cub Cadet are owned by the same company, are they selling different models or just rebranding>

I have been looking at zero turns for several years now. I currently run a Z Master 52" commercial unit that was made about 2003. I am just starting the process of buying a new Cub Cadet Pro Z 154S [ steering wheel 4 wheel steer ]. All the ZTR's have good and bad points, just like tractors. I decided on the 154S finally because of the all wheel steer [ my property is sandy but sometimes water soaked and my current ZTR is hard to turn somedays without tearing up spots ], dusty at times [ fairly good air cleaner on the 100 series [ Kohler 27hp EFI ] compared to the homeowner series ], and hilly [ comes with a 3400 hydro that should hold up better than powdered gear units ]... Anywhilst, I am in the process.... This will be way more mower than I need, but I am at the point in life that I want to get one that will last until whenever.... :) I believe Toro is in cahoots with Exmark [ both good units ], and Cub Cadet is part of MTD now... Cub Cadet is running $300 off on the Z160S now, but I can not go that wide....

Last edited:
   / Cub Cadet Steering Wheel Zero-Turn #10  
Here is a link to a video that pretty much explains what all wheel steer is, and some of it's advantages [ again, ZTR AWS is not all advantages, everything is a compromise, nothing is perfect, etc... ]... I actually like the lap bar system, but I do not like the Y turns at the end of each row and the time it takes.... And the resulting torn sod if you are not fully aware of what you are doing, like listening to the FM stereo headphones and enjoying life too much....
Steering Wheel Zero Turn Vs. Lap Bar Zero Turn - YouTube