Cub Lo-Boy

/ Cub Lo-Boy #1  

RET

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2200, JD LX277, Cub Lo-Boy
I have a cub Lo-Boy (late 50's model I believe?). It was thrown in with the deal when I bought my property a few years ago. Unfortunately, since my shop space is very limited, it is sitting out in the weather. It bothers me that I've allowed a classic to be treated like that. I think I'm going to make a deal with my retired farmer neighbor - clean it up and make some minor repairs to make it saleable, and we'll split whatever we can get out of it. The engine and transmission still run great - just needs some TLC.
Can anyone recommend some good websites to learn more about these tractors, their value, and where to get parts?

/ Cub Lo-Boy #2  
RET,

Try this <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.yesterdaystractors.com>Yesterdays Tractors</A>
Al

/ Cub Lo-Boy #3  
RET,
I looked at your profile and I'll be darned if it didn't get me thinking/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

How do I get from 34-0-0 fertilizer to ammonia for fumming oak. Aqua ammonia or Ammonium Cloride is a trip to the chemical supply house (not very handy). Fertilizer is a trip to the barn.

Also, I made this post partly to help the posts over the 100,00 hump so Muhammad can go to bed./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
Al

/ Cub Lo-Boy #4  
For IH tractor parts try.. Bates Corporation
1-800-248-2955
Fax: 219-342-0237
They have lot of new replacement parts etc...

/ Cub Lo-Boy
Twinkle Toes,
Dumb question time. Why would you want to fumigate oaks with ammonia?

/ Cub Lo-Boy #6  
RET,
Not a dumb question at all. In todays world, the chemistry of Nitrogen and it's compounds sholuld be revealed carefully/w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif Ammonia fumming was a popular treatment of oak in the early 1900's. The Ammonia attacks the Tannic acid in the wood and darkens selected areas to enhance the grain pattern. A lot of the quarter sawn antique furniture has this finish. The normal approach is to enclose the piece in an ammonia rich atomsphere from Aqua Ammonia (26%). At room temperature the partial pressure is nearly the same as air. I can figure out how to make Ammonia from Ammonium Cloride but not from Ammonium Nitrate without also generating one or more of the five Nitrogen oxides. Nitrous Oxide is OK /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif it's the other four that I don't like. My motivation is simple 34-0-0 is cheap.
Al

/ Cub Lo-Boy
Twinkle Toes,
I learn something new everytime I visit TBN. Quarter sawn oak is beautiful. Betcha make some nice furniture out of that stuff! I don't know much about NH4 other than it's not good to drink, inhale, mix with diesel, or feed fish. The only resource I have here at my desk is a chemical encyclopedia. All it says is that NH4NO3 decomposes at 210C with evolution of nitrous oxides. It goes further to say that it may explode under confinement or high temperatures. It's a strong oxidizer and explodes more readily in presence of organics (i.e. diesel).
If I were in your shoes, I'd leave that 34-0-0 in a safe dry place, use it in the spring to green up the grass, and spend a little more $$ for NH4 solution (and justify the extra $$ as an investment in safety!).
Thanks for the lesson on 1/4sawn oak!
R

/ Cub Lo-Boy #8  
Al:
34-0-0 was cheap here, but our supplier is asking us please not to buy it. I was putting it on horse manure/sawdust compost, because the sawdust absorbs nitrogen.
Last purchase, my wife had to fill out forms, which the farm store now has to send to the fed for any ammonium nitrate sale, even for less than 100 lb.
Security, you know.

/ Cub Lo-Boy #9  
Well, I wish you were around here, 'cause I'd just come make you a deal on it! Too bad the shipping out here would cost so much. In fact, I bought an "A" since it was hard to find a Cub in ole Californy...

/ Cub Lo-Boy #10  
Robert,

Is Washington "around here"? Would you like a pair of "A's". Mine is taking up the third stall in a two stall barn./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif
Al