cub won't stay running

/ cub won't stay running #31  
OK, I give up, what happens?

Richard

My understanding was it was to prevent backfiring when turning off the ignition. My 1978 Cub 1450 didn't have one and frequently backfired on shutoff. I think my 2004 3235 did have one and my current 2015 Enduro XT3-GSX has one but it still backfires if I don't open the throttle wide open as I turn it off.
Bob B.

/ cub won't stay running #32  
My understanding was it was to prevent backfiring when turning off the ignition. My 1978 Cub 1450 didn't have one and frequently backfired on shutoff. I think my 2004 3235 did have one and my current 2015 Enduro XT3-GSX has one but it still backfires if I don't open the throttle wide open as I turn it off.
Bob B.
mainly it was to prevent fuel flowing when the engine is off if the needle valve sticks, and it prevents backfiring when the engine is turned off too, I'm glad there's someone else here that knows this!..

/ cub won't stay running #33  
Yes the solenoid will block the flow of fuel up the fuel pipe in the stem of the carb and was done so to help with backfire on shutdown. Not quite a perfect system, but that's its purpose. Because the carburetor bowl is vented at the entrance of the venturi, fuel does have another path to overflow should the float valve let fuel by whilst sitting however. Many engines today are not built with AB solenoids plus enabling a solenoid may or may not allow a backfire to happen. No other side effects.

After I wrote the 20 year comment I thought, that's nuts- I must be getting old because I remember the back fire being brought up in a early for me Kohler service school . More than 20.... It was actually cute because Kohler is one of those companies that seems to document anything. IE A simple part change comes with a sheet of notes telling you why and revised instructions and the like. Dealers brought up the backfire on Commands and the discussion went from the effectiveness of the solenoid to idling it down for 30 seconds to basically having the customer try various throttle positions at shut down to different fuel. Poor guy was frustrated. That apparently wasn't in his notes...