Culvert Install

/ Culvert Install
Finally sorted out my download issue. Here is the almost finished culvert. It works great. Need to get that headwall poured so I can add a bit more dirt and level things out. And finish is it off with a little gravel.

KIMG0020.JPG

KIMG0022.JPG

/ Culvert Install
Add some rip rap to the uphill side and you can call it completed.
I am planning on making a concrete headwall along the front of that pipe. But I guess the rest of that opening would benefit from some rip rap too, wouldn't it? Thanks for the suggestion.

/ Culvert Install #14  
I see no need for a headwall. The water is going to go over the roadway before it fills the culvert. If you had an elevated roadway that would pool water above the culvert during flood stage until the culvert can catch up then a headwall is beneficial.

In your case I prefer the roadway to be slightly lower than the roadway on top of the culvert. If the culvert can't keep up and overflows the roadway you don't want it going over at the culvert. You want it to disperse in a wide area to either side of the culvert, or both sides. That keeps a flood situation from washing out your culvert. Easier to repair a section of roadway than reset the culvert.

Thanks for the pics!!!

/ Culvert Install
I see no need for a headwall. The water is going to go over the roadway before it fills the culvert. If you had an elevated roadway that would pool water above the culvert during flood stage until the culvert can catch up then a headwall is beneficial.

In your case I prefer the roadway to be slightly lower than the roadway on top of the culvert. If the culvert can't keep up and overflows the roadway you don't want it going over at the culvert. You want it to disperse in a wide area to either side of the culvert, or both sides. That keeps a flood situation from washing out your culvert. Easier to repair a section of roadway than reset the culvert.

Thanks for the pics!!!
Thanks for that info. makes total sense.

I think I am still going to do a headwall, it will allow me to fill right up to the edge of the front which will give me more room to fill and grade it how I want it. Culvert is only about 7' wide, so I will take all I can get. I have the concrete already and it will not be difficult.

/ Culvert Install #16  

I think I am still going to do a headwall, it will allow me to fill right up to the edge of the front which will give me more room to fill and grade it how I want it. Culvert is only about 7' wide, so I will take all I can get. I have the concrete already and it will not be difficult.
Yep. Headwalls gain usable width for sure!!!

/ Culvert Install #18  
I am having a malfunction and can't post. Sorry for the distraction.... I will work on my skills.....

Last edited:
   / Culvert Install #19  

Good find on that culvert pipe! 28 years ago I put two in. The first one was on the back portion of my property which I used very little, but very necessary because like you, I risked getting stuck every time I crossed the creek. I did it exactly like you did, filled it with dirt, and it worked fine. BUT, over those 20 plus years the pipe gradually filled in with sediment until it completely closed off. It is still solid enough to drive on, but water flows around it now.
The second one was a feeder creek to my pond, and is used almost daily. I put rip rap along the creek bed (2-4" limestone) fore and aft, placed two culvert pipes (heavier volume of water), then instead of a headwall, i built up rip rap around the opening to just above the pipe, then filled in the rip rap with chips and dust. I also filled the drive over the pipe with chips and dust. 28 years later, it looks just like it did when we put it in. The rip rap fore and aft eventually filled with sediment, then grass grew, but it stays so solid that I can mow it when it is fairly dry. The pipes never filled up. Just recently I added more rip rap at the entrance of the pond to keep more sediment from washing into the pond.

/ Culvert Install #20  

Thanks for the pics!!!
Installing a dip in the road adjacent to the culvert fill as you suggest is a common practice on forest roads and it works pretty well, especially if the dip is armored with rock.