Curious about checking the antifreezing agent?

/ Curious about checking the antifreezing agent? #1  

gwstang

Platinum Member
Tractor
1952 Ford 8N / Kubota L2501
I'm not sure what the dealer loaded my rear tires with, on my new L2501 last spring when I purchased it. I did check to see how much was in there and it was too much water/fluid/whatever so I drained some out to where it was at about 75% full. It was squirting out of the valve stem at 12 o clock...lol. It's lowered now. I am wondering, if it is beet juice, will a regular antifreeze type of checker (where you squeeze the bulb and it sucks some up into the little balls) work on beet juice? I know it's not the RV or Green Antifreeze so it's either water or beet juice from what I can tell. Sorry if this is a dorky question, but how do you check something like beet juice for the freezing level? I live in Alabama so it doesn't get or stay really cold for long periods of time. I did notice that there is about 4" of rain in a bucket down by the barn (in the sun) that stayed frozen all day today. If that is frozen, will a tire with just water stay frozen? Thanks.

/ Curious about checking the antifreezing agent? #2  
It's most likely water mixed with a little bit of wiper fluid (about an 80/20 mixture).

/ Curious about checking the antifreezing agent?
I didn't think about wiper fluid. I think that is what it is when I drained some out. I remember thinking that this fluid smelled/felt like something that I could not quite bring to mind.

/ Curious about checking the antifreezing agent? #4  
80-20 would freeze... If you use winter wiper fluid you have to use 100% no water added. It good for -20 degrees F freeze protection... Why don't you call the dealer and ask them what they used that way you will know what it is...

/ Curious about checking the antifreezing agent? #5  
You'd need a prolonged period of sub freezing temps to freeze plain water in a tire, because of their size. You might get a skim of freezing along the insides of the tire, but that would probably break up quickly when you move the tractor. If you don't have more than a few days of intermittent freezing, I doubt you'd have to worry about a total freeze up of your tires with just plain water.

That said, I'd want something other than plain water, just for the added weight.

Probably the most common stuff put in a tire is CaCl. Other stuff is more desirable probably but the CaCl is cheapest and is used by a lot of people/dealers.

Put a drop on your finger and see if it tastes salty or bitter. It might also look like cloudy water. If so, it's probably CaCl.

/ Curious about checking the antifreezing agent? #6  
It could be a water and Methanol mix also. That would be clear. Methanol also called Methyl Alcohol is toxic to humans, and is the active ingredient in windshield washer fluid. The blue color is just blue dye so you feel better about buying it in jugs where you can see it. I guarantee what you have is not beet juice. It is a nasty brown thick liquid with an odor. Water and Methanol mix is what is in my tires. If it was calcium chloride, and you got any on your hands when you drained some out, you would have noticed. It makes your hands very dry and shriveled up. Ruins leather shoes, and rusts metal. It is a salt.

/ Curious about checking the antifreezing agent?
Thanks everyone. Next time I go to town, I'll stop by there and ask them what they use. Maybe get another "free hat" while I'm there....might have to buy another tractor for it though. Hats that are free sure seem to cost a lot :laughing: