Curious How They Use to do This?

/ Curious How They Use to do This?
I enjoyed reading about the different contraptions/methods of moving old equipment around! :thumbsup: I especially like the pics of various equipment...one thing though, all of the pics I have ever seen of people way back "in the dark ages" of farming....they never smiled. Must not have been very many happy farmers. I suspect it was hard work all the way around.

/ Curious How They Use to do This? #22  
I enjoyed reading about the different contraptions/methods of moving old equipment around! :thumbsup: I especially like the pics of various equipment...one thing though, all of the pics I have ever seen of people way back "in the dark ages" of farming....they never smiled. Must not have been very many happy farmers. I suspect it was hard work all the way around.

I think the farmers were about as happy as anyone else. Actually if you look at old photos you will seldom see smiles before WW2. Same with painted portraits. Part of it was a hold over from the long exposures (try to hold a smile for 10 seconds) but part was that pictures were serious business. People wanted to look formal, not casual.