custom counterweight

/ custom counterweight #1  

jonsstihl

Veteran Member
Here are a few pictures of my counterweight build

2x2 .250 wall tubing

I figure it will weight about 100 lbs when complete and will have a 300lbs block of concrete

It will be a multi purpose counter weight with a removable concrete block.

IMG_2470.JPG

IMG_2471.JPG

/ custom counterweight #2  
a friend of mine who builds a lot of prototype farm equipment uses plastic water tanks, and that way the weight is easily removable and or fillable.

looks like a good build

/ custom counterweight
Thanks. The water tank idea is a good one but I didn't want to worry about it freezing in the winter.

sorry for the sparse details, I didn't have much time last night to post between putting the kids to bed.

Like I said this will be a multipurpose counterweight with hooks to carry chains in the woods and one hook on the back to skid out logs. It will also have a vise in case I need to sharpen the chain saw. And I will put pins on it to hold the two ball mounts I use, one with a ball and one with no ball mounted for my wood hauling trailer.

I will also put a bracket on the back top post so I can put smaller branches into it and they will be held off the ground for cutting. I cut anything over 1.5" dia into firewood lengths. this idea came from those comercially available log holder stands.

I

/ custom counterweight #5  
Nice job and maybe add a chainsaw scabbard or two. Could you paint mine blue? :thumbsup:

I need to learn to weld......

/ custom counterweight
the chainsaw rides in the bucket with the tool box, gas can, oil jug and peavey.

so far I figure about 120$ in steel and about 15 - 20 hours but I'm no pro I take my time and I haven't been able to work a full day on it yet, just a few hours at a time here and there.

I could have probably been able to use 3/16 wall tubing to save on costs but hey, Its a counterweight it needs to be heavy and I'm not really worried about bending it.

/ custom counterweight #7  
Any updates on this ballast/work box? Would love to see what a finished product looks like.

/ custom counterweight
I made a few mistakes on the first build. The center post on the back section blocks the view of the hitch ball to line up the trailer when hooking it up so I have cut it out and need to add two posts that are spread out. It has legs now but the receiver is a little to high off the ground now with the legs so I have to add a new receiver down lower.

I'm still quite far away from paint and a finished project. I like to use my projects a little before painting then so that mistakes are easier to correct. I will try and post some pictures of my progress.

/ custom counterweight #9  
That is one REALLY NICE unit. I like the idea that weight can be added/removed and that bare it could be used to carry stuff. Those first two pics almost look like you used stainless steel. Very nice job. Wish we lived closer - you could build me one!!

/ custom counterweight #10  
Nice work. If you can make it. Do it. The self pride well worth the time.:drink: