Cut with BX-2200 first time today. Impressions

/ Cut with BX-2200 first time today. Impressions #1  

Builder

East PA or 750 mi. east of a short man named Dar__
Tractor
Kubota, AGCO, New Holland LB
Nothing like getting your BX delivered with a 60" MMM salivating for some tall grass then getting 5 DAYS of RAIN! :mad:

Today the grass was still damp, but I couldn't wait to try it out. I cut a 1 acre paddock and was pretty impressed. Grass was 12-15" tall. Set deck at 4" and it just blew through it like it was nothing. The wet clippings shot out pretty strong. I have to laugh because my customer has a "26HP" Sears tractor with a 54" deck. I got on that thing and it felt like a POS. 26HP my arse! :laughing: A few blades of the tougher rye remained standing, but I attribute this to the wet heavy nature of the grass.

I may have bought a used tractor with a weak battery, or maybe I just don't know how this one likes to be started. It was a little hesitant to start and spun rather slowly when cranked. Took me 3 tries and she finally fired over with a real hammering. Once she wamed-up, she smoothed out and was actually pretty quiet. My M-7040 starts quicker than you can let go of the key.

Tomorrow, if it dries out a little more (it's showering right now) I will cut another 3-6 acres. The upgraded seat makes a big difference. A tilt wheel would have been nice, little bit too vertical for me, but otherwise it feels like a cuttin machine! :thumbsup:

/ Cut with BX-2200 first time today. Impressions #2  
Glad you are enjoying it.

On the battery, it could be weak.

But, glow the plugs for 6 full Mississippi counts. As the weather gets colder, two cycles of 6 full counts. First "turn" of the key, is just hot, with fuel pump ticking. Turn it a half turn farther and see the yellow glow plug symbol. At least that was my dashboard on the 1860. Yours might be different?

Believe it or not, crack the throttle a full 1/3 before starting and leave throttle at 1750 RPM. That's the manual's procedure. They hammer a bit, but less if the RPM isn't down on 1300. "Idle" on these is higher than might be expected.

/ Cut with BX-2200 first time today. Impressions
OK, great to know. M requires no GP action when it's warm and very little even when cold.
Sounds like the 3-banger is a little cold blooded???

/ Cut with BX-2200 first time today. Impressions #4  
Builder, I tell you what. If you glow it a bit, ala the manual, 4-6 seconds with the throttle cracked 1/3, you'll never have a better, and quicker starter. I mean instant!!! Really.

As temps get colder, I mean really cold, cycle the GP twice. At zero weather, three cycles. Bang!!! It'll start on first crank, Honest.

I also run a splash of the White Bottle Diesel Services. Don't know if it does much, but hey, a little snake oil never hurts. :)

/ Cut with BX-2200 first time today. Impressions #6  
Just to be contrarian, my BX starts immediately after the starter engages. Bump the key as fast as possible and it fires right up. Never use the glow plugs (but I'm in Texas).

/ Cut with BX-2200 first time today. Impressions #7  
I'm a glow plug user...Here in Orygun.

Don

/ Cut with BX-2200 first time today. Impressions #8  
My experience with my BX2200/2660 mirrors that of bp fick. It will start without gp, but a little slower and blows more smoke.

I mowed a lot of stuff with both of mine I probably shouldn't, but neither ever skipped a beat, great little machines.

/ Cut with BX-2200 first time today. Impressions #10  
Anything you guys have done to your BX's to make them better?
There's no way to set the rear tires wider, right?

I got under belly and tie rod protectors for my 2660, but haven't put them on yet. I tore the boots on it mowing in really tall briers brush etc.

You can get rear wheel spacers from Bro Tek.