Cutting down a 'leaner'

/ Cutting down a 'leaner' #11  
Lots of bad things can happen. For example, at some point when cutting through it, you can remove enough weight that the remaining roots will pull the stump section back up to standing - very quickly. That can ruin your day if it hits you...and it can send the other section of the tree moving in unpredictable ways. Best bet is to pull it down with chains and tractor (hook chain to drawbar, not 3 pt). Then chop away. Anything hung up like that is quite dangerous.

If you can't get there with your tractor (as I just re-read) then a sturdy long rope is a good idea, though you need to watch for them snapping or coming loose and whipping back at you. A winch is another good route to go, if you have one.

Last edited:
   / Cutting down a 'leaner' #12  
I cut some just like that a few days ago. I cut about 1/3 thru from the bottom but not so far as to pinch your saw. I left about 3 feet of stump or enough so that you can cut from a standing position. Then saw it thru from the top. Be prepared for the tree to fall down and likely back toward the stump and the stump to spring upward. Just get back as fast as you safely can. Then continue to cut the tree from the bottom up till you can disentangle it from the other trees. If you think you may ever be able to get to the stump to pull it out, then leave the 3-4 foot section to tie on to for pulling it up otherwise then cut the stump off flush with the ground. I personally take them out by the roots by either pulling them up or digging them with the backhoe.
LAST THING: Make sure you have a buddy watching from a safe distance JUST IN CASE everything goes wrong he can assist you or get some help.

/ Cutting down a 'leaner' #13  
Another technique I used to get a slightly leaning tree out of a group entanglement and to the ground is to cut it on an angle of at least 45 degrees sloping down and let the tree slide of the slope and down to the ground. Cut it about 4 feet above grade, then drag it out with the tractor and chains or ropes to get it down and out of the trees. This works ok for trees up to about 12" in diameter at the base. YMMV on larger trunk size.

/ Cutting down a 'leaner' #14  
The one pictured looks not bad, the real trouble is when they aren't leaning that much and could fall back. You have to pay attention to the forces, the tree has 2 forces on it in that position, gravity pulling it down, the lever effect created by what's holding it (depending on location that will push the base of the tree up or down - but usually up). When you make the first base cut you need to be exceedingly careful, the tendency is for the root ball to want to stand back up and depending on the lever the trunk will want to go up or fall down. After you make that cut it gets much easier, I just attach a come along and a chain to the base and pull it until it falls the rest of the way. If room is a problem you can make additional cuts, but each one is risky. If it's in tractor range that makes it much easier because you can apply forces to better control it or just lift it with the root ball. Wear a hard hat, use extreme caution, a sharp saw and make sure someone is watching in case you get pinned.

/ Cutting down a 'leaner' #15  
I agree, from the picture, it doesn't LOOK bad. However, trees do not always follow our expectatons :(

It's been mentioned to plan your escape route. Good idea, but also **clear** several escape routes.

Last year a couple of experienced trail maintenance workers will killed by hung up trees like this.

Also ask yourself how important is it to get the tree down? We have some trees on state park trails that we elected to leave them alone rather than take the risk. Some we just watch year to year, others we have cut new trails around the danger.

/ Cutting down a 'leaner' #16  
Use an axe. Saves the frustration of a pinched blade. Cut a good notch on the topside and leave it. The wind should do the rest for you.:)

/ Cutting down a 'leaner' #18  
Pay close attention to what Egon wrote! notch it and let nature take care of it.

/ Cutting down a 'leaner'
It's not so obvious in the picture but the the fork in the leaner is wrapped around the standing tree. I don't care about the tree but I thought if there was a simply way to take it down I would cut it for firewood.

/ Cutting down a 'leaner' #20  
I don't agree with "let nature take care of it" in most cases. That amounts to leaving firewood to rot, and a bunch of weight that will come down when it feels like it, not when you plan for it. So, why leave a hazardous accident waiting to happen on property you or others use, walk or travel through? A lot of variables come into play with that, I understand, but it is another thing to consider.

If the pictured tree is well seated in the fork against the standing tree, there is probably pressure being applied (by the standing tree) through the length of the log down into the stump. If I had to guess, I would say the pressure is greater along the top surface of the leaner log than the bottom.

If you decide to cut it, the standing tree and gravity will push the leaner toward the stump, and the stump will probably try to right itself, so you have forces in multiple directions to deal with. If the leaner log is running straight without a bow in it, it will likely not move/sweep to the left or right very much when cut from the stump, but that is another direction of force to watch for by reading the saw kerf and any rips or cracks that appear on the bark near the cut.

Working with chainsaws in the woods is always dangerous. If you don't feel comfortable, leave it. I've found that some of the tension in freshly fallen or felled trees and limbs will self-release given time to relax. In this case with the stump, that probably won't happen; the only thing that can give much is the tree that it is hung up in. That tree will eventually respond to the pressure of the leaner, but it will take a while.