Cutting down Juniper, Cedar, brush along fence lines

/ Cutting down Juniper, Cedar, brush along fence lines #1  

frogracer

Bronze Member
Tractor
NH T4.120 - ArmstrongAg Grapple, Pallet Fork
Looking for a little insight into how one might go about removing Juniper/Cedar/Brush along fence lines. Or in fact how to go about chopping it off at a hight just above the fence posts. We would like to keep most of it there for the quail but remove any and all of it above the height of the fence. Diameter of trucks could reach 2-3" or so. (We would remove the larger ones with a hand held chain saw as needed.)

Is there a saw like device on a boom device out there? Saw would need to be about 5' long or so.

Are there any attachments for a tractor? Hire a specialty contractor? Other?

Appreciate your help.
Not sure where to post this - feel free to move if needed...

/ Cutting down Juniper, Cedar, brush along fence lines #2  
So the highway department basically has a bush hog mower (heavy duty) on an arm and it beats through 5" trunks... not pretty but does the job.

Google "Boom Mower", and look at Images. They are not cheap, used ones around hear will still be $4-5K There was a thread about a new company that has one that attaches to the Front End Loader... I think it was $3k (?)

This is a nice one for $7k... Land pride boom mower - farm & garden - by owner - sale

View attachment 538515

/ Cutting down Juniper, Cedar, brush along fence lines #4  
Hire a specialty contractor looks like your best option. It doesn’t sound like you want to do the manual labor needed and buying the automated equipment needed is too expensive.

/ Cutting down Juniper, Cedar, brush along fence lines #5  
If I was doing it:

Chainsaw all the large trunks to well below fencetop height. Buy a 3pt belt drive sickle bar mower. Rebuild the mounts so its operating height is above the fence height. Use it for the yearly topping.

Bruce

/ Cutting down Juniper, Cedar, brush along fence lines #6  
You could do what the local right of way clearer did on my father's property in North Mississippi. Run the cutter down the fence row basically destroying a bit over a 1/4 mile in fence and leave the trash/slash lay. My father was bed ridden at the time so by the time I got done with them the power company replaced the old fence (30 + years old) with new fence posts corners and intermediate stations, disked 10 feet off of the fence row, picked up the broken wire and steel posts and paid me for my time inspecting the work and getting them involved in the clean up. In the end my complaint, combined with a number of others got the right of way clearer fired and sued by the power company. Dad has since passed the property has been sold so I don't have that problem anymore. My fence lines....well that is soon to be another story.

/ Cutting down Juniper, Cedar, brush along fence lines
Thanks for all the replies-looks like there is no "easy" way to do on my own. I will talk with my neighbor and see if we can locate a professional to come in and do it.

Keep the options coming in the meantime.

/ Cutting down Juniper, Cedar, brush along fence lines #8  
How long are the fence lines and what is your budget? You have a large enough tractor to run many different types of attachments.

/ Cutting down Juniper, Cedar, brush along fence lines
How long are the fence lines and what is your budget? You have a large enough tractor to run many different types of attachments.

We have about 2 miles of fence we would like to clear with about half or a little more of that 2 miles we would like to chop off at fence height.

Budget has not been set - still researching what the cost will be. 10k no go, 5k maybe...I will be splitting the cost with neighbor.

/ Cutting down Juniper, Cedar, brush along fence lines #10  
Give these folks a call and tell them your situation. See if it can cut horizontal, or if they have any ideas.

The Limbhog Company, LLC – Tree Removal Tools | Pauls Valley, OK

I've seen orchard cutting equipment that will cut vertical and horizontal, but I have no idea how thick they will cut, or the prices.

You could also put a 2' high, by 4' wide, by 8' long wooden platform on 2 bike tires with wheelbarrow handles, and roll it along by hand and work a chainsaw at a comfortable height. Would take a while, but very inexpensive. Put some safety rails on both ends and one long side so you don't step off accidentally.