Cutting down Juniper, Cedar, brush along fence lines

/ Cutting down Juniper, Cedar, brush along fence lines
I'm having a hard time grasping this. Maybe some pics before/after would help. Yeah,,,,, I'm slow.....

Will try to get some tonight or tomorrow as I have to make a trip out there.

/ Cutting down Juniper, Cedar, brush along fence lines #22  
I do have a grapple which is a god send...

Even better, I think once you start you’ll find out it won’t take to long to complete.

/ Cutting down Juniper, Cedar, brush along fence lines
IMG_7025-1.JPGIMG_7023.JPGIMG_7022.JPGIMG_7030.JPGIMG_7032.JPGIMG_7033.JPGIMG_7034.JPG

Here are a few photos of the Brush along the fence lines. I will try and get some photos of the denser stuff tomorrow from the other side of the property.

/ Cutting down Juniper, Cedar, brush along fence lines #24  
We have an electric fence to keep clear of spruce branches. We have fallen behind. Usually I run a bush hog on the pasture side. Then I go through an snip the branches with a lopper that are leaning on the electric fence wires. I'm thinking this year of getting a Ryobi 40v hedge trimmer that I can get between the wires and above the wires. Besides my wife can handle it. The bigger stuff can come down with a chain saw. 1927a162-a4af-4817-800f-3f9f2bb3a078_400.jpg

/ Cutting down Juniper, Cedar, brush along fence lines #25  
Here are a few photos of the Brush along the fence lines. I will try and get some photos of the denser stuff tomorrow from the other side of the property.

Oh, that looks fun!

/ Cutting down Juniper, Cedar, brush along fence lines #26  
That stuff sucks to clear or even just clean up a little. If you are trying to leave habitat and keep the neighbors cows out, have you thought about stepping over 10 feet and building a new fence? Or step over 20 feet and run a couple of goats in the strip every couple of years to clean it out some?

/ Cutting down Juniper, Cedar, brush along fence lines #27  
...will try and get some photos of the denser stuff...
:shocked: :eek: Two miles of this?? Wow, I'd have to rethink the boom mower!!! :laughing:

/ Cutting down Juniper, Cedar, brush along fence lines #28  
It isn't as bad as it looks. A good pole saw ran by one person while another pulls the cut limbs back will open up the shrubs to a chain saw fairly fast. This is similar to the fence rows at my place in some areas, nothing worse than those dense shrubbery to cut unless it is dense shrubbery overgrown with saw briars. You will need at least one person pulling back the cut limbs so the person running the pole saw can just keep whacking them down.
You will be surprised how fast that you can open that tangle up to expose the trunks.
You may need to work from the side opposite the fence for easier access.

For that thick hedge, I would cut it to within ground level, it will grow back at a rate of about 4 feet a year which you will need to keep topped to prevent a nasty regrowth that will look like the original in 5 years. The only way to kill that is to dig out all the roots. I don't even think 2-4D will totally kill it.

Goats do love it though and that my be an option to use to thin out the ground level stuff prior to tackling it. I do hate goats though as they climb on everything, stick there heads through small holes in fences and get stuck. A real PIA.

/ Cutting down Juniper, Cedar, brush along fence lines #29  
   / Cutting down Juniper, Cedar, brush along fence lines #30  
That is pretty much what some of my fence line looks like down at the road. I've been using a chainsaw and pole saw but i'm taking them down all the way. To me it's easier to clear a path to the trunk and then cut down the tree/bush in mostly one piece and drag it to the burn pile.