cutting on a steep hill - pond at the bottom

/ cutting on a steep hill - pond at the bottom #11  
I have an LVAD (left ventricle assist device) Like a fuel pump attached to heart. Runs at 5300 rpm 24/7. Wire goes into my stomach to the pump. Carry 2 large batteries and control device at all times. I weigh an extra 10 pounds. Probably should not get them wet.
With those medical devices/limitations I seriously would not go near an slopes with riding mower specially if there is not a flat area to turn mower around before you enter pond..... Best use of mower on slope is going up/down slope (not across face), but when trying to turn there is great chance of off balance during turn and if you dump it over you may be pinned under unit (most riding mowers are at least 500 pounds) or pinned under it under water....... IF you insist on mowing, go very slow and let your butt pucker reaction guide you (but some times reaction is not fast enough)..... Best thing you can do for mower is widen rear stance as much as practical.... I know widening rear stance (3 inch spaces) on my SCUT really helped with stability...

/ cutting on a steep hill - pond at the bottom #12  
I agree on hiring it out. Even with a new Ventrac or other specific slope mower, it sounds like you'd be in a tough bind if you ever had to ditch or bail out. Could you find someone to mow it once per year? Sell one of those $$$ side-by-sides and you'll pay for many years of mowing. I know it sucks. I'm in the midst of selling stuff to be responsible too, and I hate it!

/ cutting on a steep hill - pond at the bottom #13  
There is another current thread here on TBN about cutting steep slopes. Mossroad made a HISTORIC suggestion.

Plant the slope to wildflowers and forget about cutting it. There will be no danger of a roll over accident and it looks great.

/ cutting on a steep hill - pond at the bottom #14  
Go buy yourself a Flymo. The hovercraft of rotary mowers. you can be at the top of the hill with a rope attached to the mower handle and guide it. Problem is, no longer sold in this country, only in Oz so you'd need to import one.

/ cutting on a steep hill - pond at the bottom #15  
It doesn't seem like you need the stress of a job like that. If you approach this from the position of taking care of yourself and being safe, the options quickly narrow down to these choices - Buy equipment made for this - Hire someone to do it - Maybe a weed cutter (weed whacker). or two - kill all the grass and weeds, place fabric over it, cover with rock - or let it go. Seems most solutions cost money. That seems to be a limiting factor for most of us. I have to tell you - if you said --- am forty years old (or less) and wanted to do this job on a consistant basis - I would say there is pretty good chance you might get hurt and I would not recommend it.

While I know you are looking for a good solution, I know that any solution that affects your health is not a good solution.

Seems like it brings the outrigger to "make shift guesswork trial and error or purchasing something commercial - which is probably not made (because of liability) or too risky or expensive.

Maybe for the good news. Whatever you do, you live in Puxico Mo. It has been hot with not much rain for a while. Grass has been slow to grow and somewhat dormiate. But weeds near a pond have plenty of water. Might consider letting that problem area go. Best Wishes.

/ cutting on a steep hill - pond at the bottom #16  
Wondering if anyone has tried to put some sort of outrigger on their tractor or zero turn for extra safety when mowing a steep hill. I have an old JD 425 garden tractor with 48" deck in good condition and a year old Cub Cadet zero turn with steering wheel and 60" deck. Any ideas or experience. One end is the dam on my pond and I cut both sides. The other end has steep hill that looks like the dam but is the water entry. It is maybe steeper than the dam end. T compound the problem I do not even cut across the pond from the house. To steep for me and I have major health issues. I had a good parcel of pear grass growing but my neighbor thought he would do me a favor and weed eat it all. Lot of ruts over there caused by road runoff going across a gravel lot into my pond. neighbor does not have a culvert pipe so I get all the rutting. I also have a JD 2210 with a front loader and 54" deck. Use it to fill the ruts when I have a chance. Thanks dddenden
Without actually seeing your slope I have only one idea. With your 425 and smallish deck, put fluid in the rear tires and also put 100# cast weights on each rear wheel. This will be very difficult to tip over. Possibly extend the wheels out by a couple inches on each side.

/ cutting on a steep hill - pond at the bottom #17  
I had a few 425's years ago, great mower. I mowed the road ditch in front of the house that was to steep to sit in the seat.

The fix was easy, plop one cheek onto the up-hill fender for counter weight.

Also, take the grab-handles off the fenders, sitting will be less painful that way.

/ cutting on a steep hill - pond at the bottom #18  
not seeing the site, would an offset flail mower on the 2210 help? along with a wider stance provided by wheel spacers, you may be able to mow the incline with the tractor on the flat top part.

/ cutting on a steep hill - pond at the bottom #19  
Another consideration is to make sure you are not starving the engine for oil at that angle.

/ cutting on a steep hill - pond at the bottom #20  
Mow straight up and down with the rear end downhill. And leave a fringe around the pond. I've had my tractor on a bumpy near 30 deg slope which I wouldn't take anything sideways across. Takes a bit longer but with the loader on the front for counter weight, I think its pretty safe otherwise I wouldn't have done it.