Cylinder only moves part way

/ Cylinder only moves part way #1  

texbaylea

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130HST w/LA723 loader
The cylinder on my ATI GK4866 grapple only moves part way. The first time I tried to operate it after no use for about 6 mos it moved part way. I noticed that one pivot pin was missing (another story). It took about a month to get the pin. Put the pin in but still had the same problem with the cylinder. I have two QD blocks at the front of my FEL fed from 2 remotes. I swapped the hoses at the block they were originally on - no change, ditto after moving them to the other circuit and also doing a swap.

What could have happened to the cylinder while sitting that could have caused this?

I guess that I had better plan on taking it to a shop.

Vernon

/ Cylinder only moves part way #2  
I would doubt there is anything wrong with the cylinder unless maybe the rod got bent due to the missing pin? Is grapple bent or bound up? I would take the cylinder loose and see if it will travel the full stroke with no load. Can you move the grapple through it's range of motion by hand? I take it no hoses were disturbed from the last time it worked until now? If they were, are you sure the correct pair of QDs are being used, as in not one hose from one spool and the other hose from the other spool? Have you held the control lever long enough to be sure all air in the circuit has been expelled? That's all the possibilities I can think of off hand.

Kim

/ Cylinder only moves part way #3  
Make sure the QD's have flow through them. You can test them by removing the hose from the cyl fitting, and putting it in a bucket to catch the fluid. Does the relief activate?

/ Cylinder only moves part way
I would doubt there is anything wrong with the cylinder unless maybe the rod got bent due to the missing pin? Is grapple bent or bound up? I would take the cylinder loose and see if it will travel the full stroke with no load. Can you move the grapple through it's range of motion by hand? I take it no hoses were disturbed from the last time it worked until now? If they were, are you sure the correct pair of QDs are being used, as in not one hose from one spool and the other hose from the other spool? Have you held the control lever long enough to be sure all air in the circuit has been expelled? That's all the possibilities I can think of off hand.

Kim

Kim - You nailed it. I am recovering from having broken my hip and my son has spent some time with us helping. He was doing some mowing for me to keep things cut down some.

I was not able to give him a proper course in tractor operation and when he hooked up the bucket and grapple he dd just that, plugged one hose into one circuit and the other hose into the second circuit. Kubota mounts its QDs in cast blocks which can be stacked and I have two such blocks mounted on the torque tube of my loader. My son had plugged the hoses in a manner that seemed logical to him.

I can't fuss at him since I did not specify how to connect and I was unable to do a walk around with him. I will have him move a hose and that should fix the problem.

Thanks for the suggestion to check that.

Vernon

/ Cylinder only moves part way #5  
Glad to have helped.

Kim