D2350 lower alternator mounting bolt

/ D2350 lower alternator mounting bolt #1  

smithbrl

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mitlubishi D2350
Tractor went underwater a couple of years ago. I've been using it since but now I want to have the starter and alternator checked because they don't seem to be functioning correctly-go figure:laughing:. I know the alt has problems cause I can remove the belt and spin the alt and there is a bad growling sound-bearings.

I loosened the nut on the bottom mounting bolt but the bolt won't slide out so the alternator I can be pulled. I've sprayed with liquid wrench and tried to tap it out but am having no luck. The bolt has a round head on it but not enough to grab with vice grips or something. The parts book shows that this is the way it is supposed to be. Maybe it's just seized and I'll have to work on tapping on it

Anybody have any problems with this? Should the bolt just slide out?

TIA

Last edited:
   / D2350 lower alternator mounting bolt #2  
The bolt should come out, it is probably loaded up with corrosion, especially if it goes through a spacer between the mounting ears, which is fairly common. If there is room to get a big C clamp on it, it might be possible to break it loose by using a large socket for the head to creep into while clamping. Once it turns loose, it should go fairly easy.
If there isn't room for a clamp, thread the nut back on so it's flush with the end of the bolt before tapping on it to keep it from mushrooming and ruining the threads. A quick burst with an air hammer would sort it in no time, if available.

/ D2350 lower alternator mounting bolt
Thanks for the reply flyerdan. I'll see if I can get a C clamp in there and try that. If that don't work, I'll keep spraying and tapping.

Finally got it out. Sprayed and sprayed and tapped and tapped. Put it on the wire wheel and shined it up. Bringing starter and alternator to the shop Monday to see if he can rebuild them. I'll probably need a voltage regulator also. Hopefully I'll be able to update next week.

Dropped the alternator and starter off at the shop for an estimate today. He said he'll let me know something next week.

Got the starter and alternator back this morning. The engine spun over faster and started running quicker than it has since the flood. The alternator is quiet as a mouse and is charging well but I think I need a regulator because the voltage keeps going gradually up. I turned the key off when it got to 16 volts.

How much voltage is too much?

/ D2350 lower alternator mounting bolt #7  
Got the starter and alternator back this morning. The engine spun over faster and started running quicker than it has since the flood. The alternator is quiet as a mouse and is charging well but I think I need a regulator because the voltage keeps going gradually up. I turned the key off when it got to 16 volts.

How much voltage is too much?

The voltage of a charging alternator should be 13.8 to 14.2 volts.
16 volts is way to much. Have the battery tested and have the repair shop check or replace the regulator.

The voltage of a charging alternator should be 13.8 to 14.2 volts.
16 volts is way to much. Have the battery tested and have the repair shop check or replace the regulator.

Yeah, you right. I did some bush hogging for about an hour. Battery was fully charged when I started. After I cranked it up I turned the key off so the battery wouldn't charge. I hooked up the bush hog then shut the tractor down, went inside and ate breakfast, then went back out and started cutting grass. I forgot to turn the key off and I ran the tractor at full throttle for 30-40 minutes. I realized the key was on so I turned it off. After I got the grass cut I parked the tractor and killed the engine. I did a little clean up around where I park the bush hog and when I tried to crank the tractor the battery was graveyard dead. It would barely turn the engine over and I saw a puff of smoke coming from the starter.

I have the battery on charge and will see how it does. I may be getting a new battery this morning cause I'm pretty sure it's a dead duck. Hopefully, the alternator and starter aren't fried.

If the alternator is OK then I'll get a new regulator. If it's bad then I'll use it for a belt tensioner and put the tractor on a battery tender charger when it's not in use.

I'll keep y'all posted.

Brought the battery to Walmart and they checked it and said it was OK.
Starter had a dead short. The guy said one of the long bolts that hold the pieces together was touching battery voltage inside the starter. Assembly error, hopefully.

I installed starter and battery, then disconnected the alternator and cranked it up. It fired right up so maybe it will be fine.

Next I need to hook up the alternator and regulator to make sure the alternator is working. If it is, I'll need a regulator (don't know why I didn't bring the alternator in with the starter. Senior moment, I reckon).