Damaged Oak Tree

/ Damaged Oak Tree #1  

Nissan197

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3215 4WD
When I was brush hogging today I accidentally caught one of my two year old oak trees with my tractors front end loader. The impact caused a pretty deep cut in the tree trunk and removed a decent patch of bark. The trunk is probably only around 3-4". I want to save the tree and need to know what I can do to treat it? Any recommendations are appreciated. Thanks.

/ Damaged Oak Tree #2  
buy a can of roofing tar and coat the skinned part .that will seal it and keep bugs out.

/ Damaged Oak Tree #3  
Is the damage deep into the sapwood?

If it is, then your tree is going to have a challenge recovering.

You really don't want to put anything on the wound. If the area where the bark is torn off is jagged, you will want to clean it up a bit. Cut away any hanging bits and shape the wound into something resembling an oval. Don't overdo it.

It's a tree. It'll tell you by next year if it's going to make it.

/ Damaged Oak Tree #4  
Probably the best thing you can do is to make sure it's not hit again!:thumbsup:

/ Damaged Oak Tree #6  
I also totally agree with ace10.
Time will heal, if it is meant to be.
Sorry to hear about the hit.

Putting anything on it like tar or paint will just mean the new growth in future years will have to grow over that as well. And if anything, such coating may just inhibit the new growth. It used to be the norm to tar or paint, but the horticulturists don't recommend it now.

If me, I'd be concerned about oak wilt or other disease being transferred to the wound, so I'd spray something to kill any bugs attracted to the opening. I'd personnaly use Ortho Home Defense spray. It has a lasting effect.

/ Damaged Oak Tree #7  
Useless comment. A two year old oak tree is no thicker than a finger assuming you do not have big fingers. At least in Georgia. I bush hogged a sapling that was a few feet tall with a rather slight trunk. It grew back and is starting to look good. I suppose by the time I am old it will be a nice tree.