Dangit... Accidentally caused myself a bunch of work (engine repair)

/ Dangit... Accidentally caused myself a bunch of work (engine repair) #1  

TSO

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey 1652 HST Cab
Had drained my small pond and was re-carving it to be both a bit larger and a tad deeper. 20180824_145939.jpeg

Everything was going "swimmingly" ( ) until I moved to the back side and was gonna push some of the material down hill. It was crusty on top but it was a false-top... Didn't realize it was actually 2ft of muck and as soon as I hit the bank, the surface collapsed and the machine angled almost straight down, bucket drove into the material. Tried for about 30 secs to get her free but there was no chance. These ASV/Terex machines are built for soft conditions, so when you get one of THESE machines stuck, you know you did it right . Anyway, after about 30 seconds of trying, the engine revved down on it's own and died.
20180826_193111.jpeg20180826_193123.jpeg

Called my buddy and he brought his backhoe over. We hooked up and as he stated to pull, I started up the machine and began to back up the incline. About halfway (after about 10 secs) the engine revved back down suddenly and the engine quit. Luckily, because everything was so slick from the muck, we were able to pull the machine out.
20180826_201525.jpeg
Pulled her up so she was sitting flat... She wouldn't start. Felt like she had way too much compression and the battery (which is nearing the end of it's time anyhow) ran out of steam. I left her sitting until the next morning and checked the oil dipstick; oil low. I added some oil, she started! I drove her over to the barn, got the bucket off. She then started running really rough, losing steam. I parked her and changed the oil (next day).

When I next started her, she had a really hard time starting. The starter was having difficulty turning her over (starter was functioning properly). She eventually started but now has a really loud knock.

I then drug her into the grass and power washed as much mud and debris off of her as possible so I could work on her. Drug her back in front of the barn and when she was dry, started her back up. She started right up but again making that loud knock and pushing white smoke out of the exhaust.
20180829_185421.jpeg
Got her into the barn and now starts the tear down process. Gonna pull the engine and have a diesel tech look at her. Pulling the engine isn't terribly difficult on this machine, just a day or 2 of removing other stuff to get to it... That's where I'm at now.20180830_181048.jpeg20180902_125624.jpeg

... When I changed the oil, I poured the oil filter contents thru a scotch brite pad... Quite a few shavings. Not sure exactly what I damaged in there.20180827_125005.jpeg

I called the ASV factory and spoke with the service tech. (They are a great company by the way, I've never waited on hold and always speak to a real human being). He said that, by operating at such a severe down-hill angle, the oil sump may not have moved the oil around and I both ran the bottom dry while forcing the oil UP into the heads. He's not sure what may be damaged at this point, but feels it may be bearing related.

I'm no engine mechanic... I can't diagnose $h!t. I'll pull the engine and let someone else give me the news...

--- Oh it's a CAT-Perkins diesel... Which is to say it's actually a Mitsubishi S4S-DT. 3.3L 4cyl. 71hp.

Hopefully the news isn't too bad and it won't cost me thousands... A guy can hope.

But that's how I'm spending MY labor day weekend On a positive note, I've got a pork shoulder in the barn smoker, so at least I get to smell that while I'm working

/ Dangit... Accidentally caused myself a bunch of work (engine repair) #2  
I had no idea that could happen with an frontward angle to a skid steer, that looks like quick sand.. Hopefully it wont be too bad..

/ Dangit... Accidentally caused myself a bunch of work (engine repair)
Time to add more hickory chips into the smoker ... 20180902_113843.jpeg

/ Dangit... Accidentally caused myself a bunch of work (engine repair) #4  
Yikes! What a poop hole that thing got sucked into. Hope it works out less-expensive for you, but oil starvation can lead to all kinds of ugly. Good luck. :thumbsup:

/ Dangit... Accidentally caused myself a bunch of work (engine repair) #5  
Sorry to hear about your ASV. I tend to agree with what the tech told you. Hope it doesn't cost you an arm and a leg.

/ Dangit... Accidentally caused myself a bunch of work (engine repair) #6  
So maybe spun crank and rod cap bearings.

They are of soft material and hopefully engine did not run long enough to damage cylinder rings.
If that's the case then maybe no rework on crankshaft surface just a R&R for bearings in and out fast.
Let us know sounds like a fascinating lessons learned for many users, after all ..who knew right?;)

Well I got everything disconnected except for 1 bolt - the bottom retaining bolt that secures the engine thru the frame to the hydraulic pumps... It's a really tight bolt and I don't have the right sized 3/4" wrench to properly grab it (I'll try to search the stores tomorrow). But otherwise, she's ready to pull. Was gonna use the Massey with forks but my buddy is bringing over his cherry picker and engine stand... Maybe pull it tomorrow or another day this week (busy busy). Then we'll pull the pan and see what kind of shrapnel we find.

20180903_195337.jpeg20180903_195350.jpeg

/ Dangit... Accidentally caused myself a bunch of work (engine repair) #8  
If you have any damage to the "down hill end" pistons or rings be sure to do a thorough inspection on those rods. It is easier than you think to bend one and end up with even more problems down the road.

/ Dangit... Accidentally caused myself a bunch of work (engine repair) #9  
If you have any damage to the "down hill end" pistons or rings be sure to do a thorough inspection on those rods. It is easier than you think to bend one and end up with even more problems down the road.

That is what I was thinking on that steep angle....hydro-lock. Check the rods real close.

Ok so at this point, I'm expecting to re-sleeve the cylinders, new pistons, probably new rods, maybe a new crank (and all eligible gaskets...) And HOPING I didn't damage the heads or block. Right?