David bradley project question

/ David bradley project question #1  

forgeblast

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deer 318
Hi i just bought a david bradley walk behind tractor. I know its old, but man there were a ton of attchements and it was in great shape with a new motor.
my only problem is that the snow blade attchemnt was sliced and diced to fit a lawn tractor. Does anyone have a picture of what the real attachment looks like. This is a long shot. i have an ariens snowblower that i bought from a yard sale, ended up having a busted piston. Is there a way to rig the snowblower to my motor (i have two pullies come off of the motor, for any front attachments)? Has anyone (long shot) done this before. thanks for looking.
Forgeblast.
oh yeah, there was some rust and old paint. Is there any easy way to strip it?

/ David bradley project question #2  
Wow, that brings back some memories!

My Dad had an OLD DB walk behind. Think it was about 3HP maybe. It sat for years and years, and we finally had it overhauled. We could never keep the oil fill spring cover on it and it was forever pumping the oil out the cap. Think we finally replaced the motor with a 5HP briggs.

We had the disc, cultivator, and sickle mower. The mower was what we wanted to use the most--and it was punk! It kept tearing the pitman arm threads out. More trouble than it was worth and we finally sold it cheap.

I'm guessing ours was a 40's or 50's model and we got rid of it in early 80s.

Ron

/ David bradley project question #3  
Here's a picture.
D03-7937.jpg

/ David bradley project question #4  
Hood is exactly like ours--and I think it even had the GREEN wheels!

One of things I now recall is that using the disc or cultivator, which is about all that worked for us, if you stood on the implement to get it to dig in, the tractor would just bounce on the tires--not enough weight!

The way our mower mounted, which is probably how the blade mounted, was the bracket had four 1/2" bolts that slid UP the slots in the frame below the motor, then slid BACK a couple inches. You tightened the bolts there and it was supposed to stay. Ours (sickle mower) vibrated loose a lot, for no more than we were able to make the mower work.

Side note: That blade looks awful big for the tractor.

Enjoy your new unit! Hope this helps.

Ron

/ David bradley project question
yep, mine looks like that except, i have chains on the wheels, because i have turf tires, and there is no hood because there is a newer 5hp b&s engine on it. the blade is huge, it a lot larger then i thought it was supposed to be, but looking at that picture, i know its original. I just bought a new belt for the sickle i bet it does shake like crazy. but there seems to be a counter weight on the back of it to hopefully knock down some of the vibration.
**is the blade held on by the same four bolt system, if it is i can just copy the basically box shape from the sickel bar, and reattach the plate that was cut up.
i really cant wait to get it out in the fields to see what it can do, i do plan on stripping the paint and re doing it.
what do you recomend to use to strip the paint, chemical? or sanding?
thanks all
forgeblast

/ David bradley project question #6  
I have one of those blades attached to my 4 wheeler. It's much stronger than the thin ones you can buy now. Does a nice job in the snow especially with a rubber edge bolted to the bottom to go over gravel. Good luck!

/ David bradley project question #7  
My favorite method for paint removal from metal is a cup wire brush in an angle grinder.

Them plows are puppies compared to a Gravely!! They are a quarter inch thick with no braceing needed.
This is my '63 buried up to it's nose,digging a trench with the rotary plow.This weekend,I'll fit the 80lb. snow plow and chains on her.
trench2.jpg

/ David bradley project question #8  
Here is a two wheeler I bought.Seen a trailer full of them at a show and the fella told me they were Simplicitys and that's what they had written on em,but I seem to run short on info that points to this.Had a 1 1/2 horse Clinton on it and it and I can go "Tractor Sking" ..behind it
Apr28074.jpg

/ David bradley project question #9  
My Dad has 2 of the David Bradley tractors. I don't know if many on here have ever seen them before. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif They are 3 wheeled tractors with 2 in the front and sitting over the rear wheel. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I do not have pictures of them or I would post them. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I am willing to bet if I go over to his house, both of them would start, even though they have been sitting for years. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

RedDog

/ David bradley project question #10  
I recently saw a restored David Bradly three wheeler at a tractor show. Looked brand new. I have a picture of it but not available from this location. I'll look for it when I get home.