Day Lilly Garden....

/ Day Lilly Garden....
almost done.....

Attachments

• 698905-MVC-686F.JPG
    698905-MVC-686F.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 162
   / Day Lilly Garden....
There are over 40 differant varieties in the garden. I will post more when they open. I noticed that a new one opened this morning that has yet to be photographed.

Attachments

• 698907-MVC-688F.JPG
    698907-MVC-688F.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 117
   / Day Lilly Garden....
Done for today....

Attachments

• 698908-MVC-689F.JPG
    698908-MVC-689F.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 131
   / Day Lilly Garden.... #24  
"Junkman" thanks for taking the time and sharing the photos of the daylilies. They are beautiful!
My wife is talking about making a garden of just dayliles.
Our daylilies here are doing exceptionally well this year.
Thanks again..

/ Day Lilly Garden....
If you fertilize them with 10/10/10 in the spring and the fall they will thrive. I forgot to do it last fall and this past spring and I can tell the differance in the lack of abundance of blooms. Only problem with fertilizer is that it also feeds the weeds...
Here is another that opened today...

Attachments

• 699063-MVC-691F (480 x 360).jpg
    699063-MVC-691F (480 x 360).jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 176
   / Day Lilly Garden.... #26  
very very nice photos, just new to gardening(now that i am retiered i have the time) do they require sun or will they do well in shade.

/ Day Lilly Garden....
These are in shade for most of the day, but the best is about 50/50 of sun and shade. Mine get only the very early morning sun and as a result, they grow toward that sun, which is OK in this instance. The don't require much effort to grow, just good topsoil that is well drained. I like a mix of 1/3 top soil, 1/3 peat moss, 1/3 play sand and they thrive. That mix also makes it easy to pull the weeds out. The more sun, the better they will thrive, and the same with watering. If you fertilize in the spring and fall and water them in the early morning, they will grow quickly into larger plants. Ideally plant about 18" apart in all directions. Split them when they start to crowd each other. If you start looking now, you can still find some nice plants at good prices. Once the flowers go by, they usually stop selling them unless you find them at a Mass Merchandiser like HD. Then, you can usually pick them up extremely inexpensively. Here is one supplier and as you can see, they can be very expensive to very inexpensive. http://www.oakesdaylilies.com
The only thing easier to grow than Day Lillie's are Iris, which I also am working on. I like low maintenance plants.

/ Day Lilly Garden.... #28  
This year I planted a lot of stargazer lillies on the east side of my house, and they have just finished blooming. For some reason, I didn't think to get a picture.

A few weeks ago when Kathy and I were in Colonial Williamsburg, VA, we took pictures of this little garden of daylillies. It's right across the street from the jail. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Attachments

• 699898-daylilly.jpg
    699898-daylilly.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 111
   / Day Lilly Garden.... #29  
<font color="blue"> It's right across the street from the jail. </font>
So what were you doing in Jail. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Day Lilly Garden.... #30  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue"> It's right across the street from the jail. </font>
So what were you doing in Jail. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif )</font>

I was incarcerated for misspelling lily /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif.