Dead battery, broken exhaust stud, tow ports, gas tanks, welding, carbs.... YIKES!

/ Dead battery, broken exhaust stud, tow ports, gas tanks, welding, carbs.... YIKES!
My only concern is the fuel filter getting hot. It's not touching the engine, but it is close. I may move it after I see how it goes.

/ Dead battery, broken exhaust stud, tow ports, gas tanks, welding, carbs.... YIKES! #32  
I forgot the Valve cover had the Oil Fill in it. :eek: You may need to be careful when unscrewing the cap.

As an aside: You may be able to drill a new hole for a small 6mm or 5/16" screw to one side of your damaged fixing. ??

/ Dead battery, broken exhaust stud, tow ports, gas tanks, welding, carbs.... YIKES!
There's not much room for anything. If the valve cover starts leaking, I'll take a dremel tool to the EX out in the hole and see how that goes.

Cut brush for about 2 hours pretty heavy on Sunday. Worked well. No valve cover gasket leaks so far and no problems with the new fuel pump.

Cut about 4 miles of trails... really 2 miles, but made them 7' wide, so two passes = 4 miles. :)

/ Dead battery, broken exhaust stud, tow ports, gas tanks, welding, carbs.... YIKES! #35  
Good to hear it all worked out for you. I kept thinking of some of my adventures when reading this...you know, the times when you think "what the he** next"...and then it happens :(

/ Dead battery, broken exhaust stud, tow ports, gas tanks, welding, carbs.... YIKES! #36  
My wife noticed that I don't jump in to fix some things anymore... I explain that often a repair on something old turns into a bunch of extra work. I am surprised when something does not turn into extras.

Benefit of working on your own stuff, you make the choice of whether you repair back to OEM or make a modification, such as using a different fuel pump. I have a Gravely rider (816S) that had a twin cylinder Onan engine. It quit charging and the Onan part was $275. I put a generic part on it for $12. Worked fine, kept battery charged (not over charged), ran lights... was still working fine when I replaced engine.

I suggest documenting what you did, including part #s, etc and keeping it in file with manuals.

/ Dead battery, broken exhaust stud, tow ports, gas tanks, welding, carbs.... YIKES! #37  
I have a Polaris quad that is a great farm quad, noticed a wobble in the front wheel, within a day the engine started missing. Focused on the engine, tore the carb down and rebuilt an nope, that wasn't the issue. it is either an ignition issue or a worn cam shaft (probably the cam shaft). And then I have to deal with a bearing going out which means the entire suspension needs to be replaced. Basically a long winter project. and I do NOT want to do it. It just keeps snowballing with this machine.

/ Dead battery, broken exhaust stud, tow ports, gas tanks, welding, carbs.... YIKES! #38  
I just replaced the battery in my PT 422 year 2000. I put PB Blaster on the bolts three times an hour apart. They came out surprisingly easy. I was dreading this after Moss痴 experience. I wonder if keeping it in a heated garage helped. Anyway, just glad to have it done. The last battery lasted eight years. It was a yellow top Optima. Very expensive, but evidently worth it. If I get another eight years the PT will be worn out.

Glad they came out. I keep mine in a garage, but not heated. I dread the next battery in 5-6 years. :thumbdown:

Update on the new vacuum fuel pump... works great. Sucked the fuel down to ZERO in the tank last night while digging canna lilly bulbs in the dark by light of my LEDs on the 425. So that's several inches lower than the carb level, so it's pumping up to the carb.