Dealer backing out of deal

/ Dealer backing out of deal #21  
I own a business, we made some changes and it effected how our clients events went and added some costs to them. We didn't fully anticipate these difficulties and it was OUR fault. So we paid all the extras needed to make things run how they should. It sucked, and it hurt our bottom line. But it was our mistake, and to put that on them is a great way to destroy your business.

The owner should be giving you what you signed and agreed on and having a chat with his salesman to make sure it doesn't happen again and he slows down.

Be nice, but be firm IMO. Theres always another dealer.

/ Dealer backing out of deal #22  
Hypothetically.

Let's say I called a dealer and got a price quote on a tractor on a Friday. Came by the dealership the next morning, took the tractor for a spin, negotiated the addition of a $1000 feature, agreed on a price, shook hands, and made a deposit. Got a handwritten receipt as it was late in the morning with the rest of the paperwork to follow on Monday. Monday morning I get a call saying there'd been a mistake, dealer misread the factory discount offer, and the price has gone up signficantly. Otherwise come get my deposit.

Even gave me a hat! Hypothetically.

How would you
Had pretty much same deal on a new pickup truck. I buy somewhere else.. I'm sure like my truck there are other dealers. If I dealt with same dealer then I deserve to get burned .
that one?

/ Dealer backing out of deal #25  
Hypothetically.

Let's say I called a dealer and got a price quote on a tractor on a Friday. Came by the dealership the next morning, took the tractor for a spin, negotiated the addition of a $1000 feature, agreed on a price, shook hands, and made a deposit. Got a handwritten receipt as it was late in the morning with the rest of the paperwork to follow on Monday. Monday morning I get a call saying there'd been a mistake, dealer misread the factory discount offer, and the price has gone up signficantly. Otherwise come get my deposit.

How would you feel about that one?

If this was a legitimate mistake then decide if you want the tractor.

I wouldn't try to hold a dealer to an honest significant monetary mistake.

/ Dealer backing out of deal #26  
I had a car repair shop call me 3 weeks after completing my repair requesting that I come back in and give them $60 because they charged me based on someone else's invoice. I did in fact pay them, because it was truly a mistake and they undercharged me but if it were my business, I would have eaten the $60 to not look incompetent or risk alienating a customer. Or said another way, they screwed up so they should have taken the hit. Similarly your dealer could make a customer for life by letting you win this time. It's about the long game but few think that way these days.

/ Dealer backing out of deal #27  
I have a good relationship with my tractor dealer for over 20 years. That relationship has bailed me out when I broke something and needed a quick turn-around on service. If I thought it was an honest mistake, I'd just go in and talk to them about it. If they could not make good on the price, I'd angle for something else - perhaps some free maintenance or something. That might be a bit easier for the dealer to cover, especially if I'm not trying to bring it in during their peak maintenance season.

If I thought is was some scam the sales guy was trying to run on me, my reaction would be quite a bit different. I'd walk out, stopping to tell the manager/owner exactly why I was leaving. (If the manager was with another customer who gets to hear my rant, so much the better.)

Last edited:
   / Dealer backing out of deal #28  
Honest mistake.
Devious trick.
Either way, you have been shown the true character of the people involved.
Only you can decide if you want to deal with people of that character.
If you do, hypothetically, what does that say about your character?

/ Dealer backing out of deal #29  
Check w another dealer first and see if they will match or beat your original deal.

/ Dealer backing out of deal #30  
Hypothetically.

How would you feel about that one?
I would never deal with them again, I'd bombard the manufacturer with hate mail about their dealer and then go on every form of social media and you tube and slander them.

But that's just me, LOL

That's the problem with this world, the bad dealers don't get enough bad publicity. People are too complacent.